Jefferson Home Furniture building
The Jefferson Home Furniture building is a six story commercial building located at 1716 2nd Avenue North.
The building, built in 1915, was the home of J. E. Cain Furniture by the 1920s. It became the home of the Joiner Furniture Co. in 1944, then of Duke Brothers Furniture in August 1945. It was renovated with a sheet-metal facade in the 1960s by Jefferson Home Furniture.
In 2004 Operation New Birmingham put it on their 12 Most Wanted list of downtown buildings in need of renovation. In 2006, Jeremy Erdreich of Metropolitan LLC, the owner of the building, planned to create 23 condos (to be called Jefferson Lofts). That plan was not realized.
In 2014 the front windows were removed for replacement, and the project was approved for Alabama's "historic rehabilitation tax credit" program. The redevelopment stalled, however, and the property was sold in May 2016 to 2nd Avenue Partners LLC, a group headed by John Chapman, for $1.11 million.
In August 2018 Chapman submitted a proposal to the Birmingham Design Review Committee to renovate the building and the adjacent three-story building into a 64,000 square-foot self-storage facility. The $3.5 million renovation was designed by KPS Group.
- Tomberlin, Michael (February 13, 2011) "Downtown dreams: Renovation slow for prominent buildings." The Birmingham News
- Davis, Bryan (January 28, 2014) "Cain Furniture Building project to move forward with tax credit cushion ." Birmingham Business Journal
- Davis, Bryan (January 29, 2015) "Cain Furniture building renovation could begin this spring." Birmingham Business Journal
- Godwin, Brent (June 3, 2016) "A downtown building slated for apartments sold for $1M." Birmingham Business Journal
- West, Ty (August 29, 2018) "Storage project eyed for historic Birmingham building." Birmingham Business Journal