John A. Carroll
Carroll settled in Huntsville as a young man and entered the furniture business. He moved to Birmingham in 1908 to open his own store, which grew into the Rhodes-Carroll Furniture Company, with related stores in Atlanta, Georgia and Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Carroll was active in supporting education, and founded the Friends of Catholic Education to help establish the first Catholic high school in Birmingham. The school, completed in 1947, was named John Carroll Catholic High School in his memory.
Carroll was also active in the Community Chest and Red Cross. He was a member of the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce, the Knights of Columbus, and the Birmingham Country Club. He was the first layman in the Diocese of Mobile to be invested into the Knighthood of St Gregory, an honor bestowed on him on January 21, 1940 by Pope Pius XII on the recommendation of Bishop T. J. Toolen.
Carroll died in 1943.