Fuller served in France during World War II, helping create maps used by Allied forces during the invasion of Normandy. He attended Auburn University after the war and earned his bachelor of architecture in 1948. He opened his own firm in Birmingham in 1954, which continued operating with the addition of Scott Thompson and Andy Olds as Fuller Thompson Olds Architects.
Fuller was active in the Unitarian Universalist Church, Workshops, Inc., the Young Men's Business Club, and the Firehouse Shelter. During the 1950s and 60s, he and his wife, Peggie, were involved in the Civil Rights Movement.
Fuller also participated in Town & Gown Theatre as a set designer. He died in 2011 and was survived by his long-time partner, James McGill, by two children and three grandchildren. His body was donated to UAB for anatomical study.
- "John Merriman Fuller" obituary (July 1, 2011) Birmingham News