McKinney was attending an outdoor party in a parking lot off 41st Place North in the Tom Brown Village public housing community on the evening of October 12. She was abducted from the gathering and is believed to have died from asphyxiation shortly afterward.
McKinney's remains were found on October 22 in a Santek dumpster that had been taken from the Woodside Condominiums in Center Point to a landfill near Warrior. McKinney was interred at Elmwood Cemetery.
Patrick Devone Stallworth and his girlfriend, Derick Irisha Brown were arrested and charged with capital murder and kidnapping. They were prosecuted separately before Judge Clyde Jones, who bound their charges over to a grand jury after preliminary hearings in December 2019. The grand jury returned indictments for capital murder of a child under the age of 14 and capital murder during a kidnapping against both defendants. Stallworth pleaded not guilty and Brown pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.
Stallworth and Brown were also indicted on federal kidnapping and conspiracy charges in July 2020. They were convicted individually on those federal charges in October and November 2022 and sentenced in March 2023 to life in prison without parole.
- Robinson, Carol (October 24, 2019) "Kamille 'Cupcake’ McKinney: 2 charged with capital murder of child." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (December 10, 2019) "Meth, sedative found in Kamille McKinney’s decomposed body, testimony shows." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (December 13, 2019) "Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney suspect said she saw child’s sexual assault." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (July 29, 2020) "Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney murder suspects indicted on federal kidnapping charges." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (January 5, 2021) "Suspects indicted in the 2019 abduction and murder of Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (October 7, 2022) "Patrick Stallworth convicted in Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney’s fatal kidnapping." AL.com
- Robinson, Carol (November 17, 2022) "Derick Irisha Brown convicted of Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney’s kidnapping death." AL.com
- Robinson, Carol (March 3, 2023) "Patrick Stallworth, Derick Brown get life without parole in Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney’s kidnapping." AL.com
- Robinson, Carol (March 9, 2023) "Derick Brown pleads not guilty to Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney’s death due to ‘mental defect’ in state case." AL.com
- Kamille McKinney at Findagrave.com