McKinney was attending an outdoor party in a parking lot off 41st Place North in the Tom Brown Village public housing community on the evening of October 12. She was abducted from the gathering and is believed to have died from asphyxiation shortly afterward.
McKinney's remains were found on October 22 in a Santek dumpster that had been taken from the Woodside Condominiums in Center Point to a landfill near Warrior. McKinney was interred at Elmwood Cemetery.
Patrick Devone Stallworth and his girlfriend, Derick Irisha Brown were arrested and charged with capital murder and kidnapping. They were prosecuted separately before Judge Clyde Jones, who bound their charges over to a grand jury after preliminary hearings in December 2019. Stallworth and Brown were also indicted on federal kidnapping and conspiracy charges in July 2020.
- Robinson, Carol (October 24, 2019) "Kamille 'Cupcake’ McKinney: 2 charged with capital murder of child." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (December 10, 2019) "Meth, sedative found in Kamille McKinney’s decomposed body, testimony shows." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (December 13, 2019) "Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney suspect said she saw child’s sexual assault." The Birmingham News
- Robinson, Carol (July 29, 2020) "Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney murder suspects indicted on federal kidnapping charges." The Birmingham News
- Kamille McKinney at Findagrave.com