La Chateau Apartments
La Chateau Apartments (formerly Hartwood Apartments) was a 136-unit apartment complex located on Hartwood Circle near the intersection of Lorna Road and Patton Chapel Road, across from The Village on Lorna shopping center in Hoover.
The complex was built in the 1970s. It was owned by the Balboa Investment Group when it was placed in foreclosure in August 2010. In December of that year, the City of Hoover purchased the property for $2.4 million for future commercial redevelopment. In July 2011, the Hoover City Council approved demolition of the complex.
After demolition, which included asbestos removal, the city sold the land to Walmart for $2.8 million for a new Walmart Neighborhood Market. The new store helped fill in a gap left by the 2008 closure of a Food World in The Village on Lorna shopping center across the street from the site, and the closure of a Bruno's grocery store down the road following the chain's 2009 bankruptcy. The Walmart store opened in August 2013.
- Walton, Val (December 17, 2010) "Hoover may buy Lorna apartments." The Birmingham News.
- Busch, Matthew (July 18, 2011) "Hoover City Council approves demolition of La Chateau Apartments." The Birmingham News.
- Walton, Val (April 2, 2012) "Update: Hoover City Council approves sale of land for Walmart Neighborhood Market." The Birmingham News.
- Anderson, Jon (August 2, 2013) "Hoover residents excited about new Walmart Neighborhood Market." The Birmingham News.
- Heyman, Greg (February 25, 2014) "Hoover leaders seize opportunities to bring Lorna Road back to life." Hoover Sun.