Lane Elementary School
|Lane Elementary School|
|District||Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||410 18th Street South, (map)|
A. O. Lane Elementary School, also called Lane Grammar School, and, later, Cameron-Lane School, was an elementary school in the Birmingham City Schools system located on the corner of 18th Street and 4th Avenue South in Birmingham's Southside. It was constructed in 1886 as the first elementary school in Birmingham built to serve African-American students. The school was named in honor of Judge Alexander O. Lane, who served on the Birmingham Board of Education from 1884 to 1888 and from 1891 to 1904 with several terms as president.
By 1952 Lane's building had been replaced and the student body merged with Cameron Elementary School to operate as Cameron-Lane School. The old Cameron Annex remained in use for some years afterward. $70,000 from the following year's $10.5 million 1953 bond issue was earmarked for improvements at Cameron-Lane.
Lane Elementary School was noted for its music program. Condoleezza Rice, who attended Hill Elementary School, was able, through her mother's influence, to join Lane's band program as a glockenspiel player.