Lewis Elementary School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Lewis Elementary School
BCS small logo.png Birmingham City Schools
Years 19292015
Location 2015 26th Avenue North, (map)
North Birmingham neighborhood
Grades K-5
Principal Irene Hunter
Enrollment 275 (2012)
Colors red & black
Mascot Eagles
Website bcs.schoolwires.net

Giddings S. Lewis Elementary School was an elementary school in the Birmingham Public School System that fed into Kirby Middle School.

Lewis Elementary was founded in 1929, and was located at 2015 26th Avenue North, in the North Birmingham neighborhood of the North Birmingham community. The three-story structure was originally planned as an eighth-grade school, and was named in honor of former Lane School principal Giddings Lewis.

In 2013 superintendent Craig Witherspoon proposed using the former Kirby Middle School to consolidate Lewis Elementary School and Norwood Elementary School. A site investigation of the vacant building revealed significant problems in the building's sanitary sewer system in addition to damage from vandalism and theft to mechanical systems. State Superintendent Ed Richardson approved the proposal over the objection of the Birmingham Board of Education in a May 7 meeting.

In 2016 students from Lewis Elementary moved to Norwood Elementary. The building was sold to the Salvation Army Birmingham Command for use as their new headquarters building.

Principals

References