Longleaf is the former estate of HealthSouth founder and CEO Richard Scrushy, it is located on Marin Drive with its address at 2406 Longleaf Trail off Altadena Road in Vestavia Hills. It was built in 1956 and has been enlarged and remodeled several times. It now encloses 18,000 square feet.
The house was auctioned off in December 2009 and purchased by HealthSouth shareholders for the appraised price of $4.25 million.
The house served as the Decorators' ShowHouse in 1989, before Scrushy purchased it, and again in 2010 after HealthSouth shareholders bought it at auction. It set fund-raising records for the event both times ($230,000 in 1989 and $270,000 in 2010).
- Hubbard, Russell (December 20, 2009) "Richard Scrushy's Vestavia Hills home set for sale." Birmingham News
- Hubbard, Russell (December 21, 2009) "Richard Scrushy's Vestavia Hills estate sells for $4.25 million." Birmingham News
- Harvey, Alec (December 21, 2009) "Scrushy house will be Decorators' ShowHouse" Birmingham News
- Heubner, Michael (December 27, 2009) "Alabama Symphony endowment to benefit from ex-Scrushy 'ShowHouse'." Birmingham News
- Temple, Chanda (July 11, 2010) "Former Vestavia Hills home of Richard Scrushy scores for decorators." Birmingham News
- "Portion of Scrushy estate bought by Briarwood Presbyterian." (January 4, 2012) Birmingham Business Journal.