Lynn Strickland Tire Co.
Lynn Strickland Tire Co. was a commercial tire sales and service business founded by Lynn Strickland in the 1930s or 1940s. The company was well-known since 1954 for the large fiberglass "Stan the Tire Man" advertising statue that was relocated, along with the business, several times.
Strickland died of a heart attack in 1957 and his widow, Theodosia took over management. It was incorporated as Lynn Strickland Sales & Services in 1960. In the 1970s the tire man was posted on the corner of 2nd Avenue South and 21st Street. The business moved in 1980 to 100 12th Street South.
In 1994 Lynn Strickland Tire Co. was purchased by GCR Tire, a division of Bridgestone/Firestone's Retail and Commercial Operations.
- Nicholson, Gilbert (July 11, 2004) "GCR Tire moving from Southside to near airport." Birmingham Business Journal