The bank's holding company, First M&F Corporation, acquired Columbiana Bankshares and its affiliate First National Bank of Shelby County on October 12, 2005. M&F converted First National's branches and entered the market on February 21, 2006.
In February 2013 it was announced that Tupelo, Mississippi-based Renasant Bank would acquire First M&F Corporation. The merger was finalized on September 1, with the operational merger occuring that December.
- Chelsea: 16623 U.S. Highway 280
- Columbiana: 106 East College Street
- Hoover: 107 Inverness Corners
- Pelham: 3513 Pelham Parkway
- Riverchase: 101 Riverchase Parkway East
- Wilsonville: 9833 North Main Street
- Ray, Tiffany (February 10, 2006) "Buyers of Shelby bank eager to take control." Birmingham Business Journal
- Cole, Antrenice (February 7,2013) "Renasant to acquire First M&F." Birmingham Business Journal
- Diel, Stan (September 3, 2013) "Renasant bank closes on M&F acquisition, gaining Alabama and Birmingham assets." The Birmingham News
- M&F Bank website