Mason Building

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the building on 3rd Avenue North. See Charles Mason Building, Martin-Mason Building or List of Masonic lodges for similarly-named buildings.

The Mason Building is a 3-story commercial building at 1717 3rd Avenue North in downtown Birmingham. The building was constructed in 1906 by physician Ulysses Mason, who kept his medical practice on the upper floor.

The ground floor originally housed the People's Drug Store and ice cream parlor. Other upper-level offices hosted the People's Mutual Aid Association and the American Hearts of Labor. In 1911 architect Wallace Rayfield's office was in the Mason Building.

By 1939 the ground floor space was occupied by the Birmingham Trading Post. By 1944 the space was used as a showroom for the Hotpoint Home Appliance Co. Beginning in 1985 it housed a showroom for Cook Credit Furniture, which became the Cook Finance Co. before closing in 1990, and later the offices of First City Mortgage.

In 2019 the building was redeveloped for legal offices on the ground floor and a residence above. Architect Scott Phillips designed the renovations, which included the restoration of historical facade details.

References