McCalla Area Fire District
The McCalla Area Fire District serves McCalla and the surrounding area with a combination of paid and volunteer firefighters working from two stations. Station 1 is located on 915 Lakeside Drive in Rock Mountain Lakes. Station 2 is located across I-20/59 at Charles-Hamilton Road. The district covers 25 square miles and approximately 4,000 residents.
The Rock Mountain Fire Department was established in September 1980. The fire district encompassed two separate areas, the older Red Mountain Heights community and the newer Rock Mountain Lakes community. At the first meeting, Joe Whatley was elected president. Other directors elected at that meeting were Charles LaGrone, Hal Deutschman, Beontras McWaine, Willie Sanders, William Jackson, Earl Buchanan, and George Gray. The annual dues were set at $35 per home. The department was a member of the West Jefferson County Firefighters Association.
In October 1999 the area served by the Rock Mountain Fire Department voted to form the McCalla Area Fire District. A ten mil property tax on residents was implemented to fund it.
The district has 15 volunteer and 7 paid firefighters, with Station No. 1 manned 24/7. The district is governed by a 5-member board of directors made up of local residents, appointed by the Jefferson County Commission.
- Station No. 1: 915 Lakeside Drive, Rock Mountain Lakes
- Station No. 2: 5866 Charles-Hamilton Road, McCalla
- Ausbun, Danny. (February 26, 1981). "Third Time Was the Charm: Rock Mountain Now Has Fire Department to Serve Residents." The Birmingham News
- Coleman, William L. (2011) The History of Rock Mountain In Jefferson County, Alabama. Dog Ear Publishing. ISBN 1457507080
- McCalla Area Fire District Five Year Plan (2004–2009)
- McCalla Area Fire District website