McCaw School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Effie J. McCaw School
Active 19121999
School type Public
District Birmingham City Schools
Grades 1-5
Colors
Mascot Tigers
Location 1020 Avenue M Pratt, (map)
Birmingham

Effie J. McCaw School (originally the South Pratt Community School) was founded in 1912 in a former church at Avenue U and 9th Street in South Pratt. After World War II it moved into a new one-story brick building on the corner of Avenue M and 10th Street Pratt, backing up to Village Creek in South Pratt. It was renamed in honor of long-time principal Effie McCaw.

In 1961 four classrooms and a shop were added to the school at a cost of $79,000. Greer, Holmquist & Chambers designed the addition, which was built by the Staley Construction Co.

The McCaw School was closed and merged into South Hampton Elementary School in 1999. The building was used for City Skills Jefferson County for a while before it was demolished in 2011. The library of the new school is named in McCaw's honor.

Principals

References