Medical Arts Building (7th Avenue South)
- This article is about an unbuilt building. For the constructed building, see Medical Arts Building.
The Medical Arts Building was a proposed 18 to 20-story, medical-professional office building to be located on a 200 by 250 foot lot at the southeast corner of 20th Street South and 7th Avenue South as part of the growing Medical District in Five Points South. The tower was designed by Harry Wheelock and was to be built by A. J. Krebs Company. At the time of its announcement in October 1928, the tower was proposed to have a minimum of 16 floors with a 200 space parking garage for a cost of $1,200,000.
By April 1929, the Birmingham Properties Corporation announced construction was to commence later that month and be completed by May 1930. At the time of the announcement, the minimum height of the tower was to be 18-floors. The striking art deco tower was to have featured a limestone and brick facade.
The UAB administration building was later constructed on this site.
- "Medical Arts Building will grace corner on Southside" (October 21, 1928) The Birmingham News - via Newspapers.com
- "Medical Arts Building will be addition to Birmingham skyline" (April 4, 1929) The Birmingham News - via Newspapers.com