Morgan Creek Vineyards
Morgan Creek Vineyards is a winery located at 181 Morgan Creek Lane in Harpersville. Winery owners Charles and Mary Brammer began commercially selling wine in 2000, after many years of producing it as a hobby.
The winery began on 30 acres with a production of 600 cases (7200 bottles), that sold in 6 stores. In 2009, the winery produced 15,000 cases, selling in 400 stores across Alabama and Mississippi, and expanded its acreage by 85 acres (Vickery)
Morgan Creek produces "Southern wines such as muscadine, blueberry and apple," (Wilkinson) and red wines (O'Hara). Its wine was included on the list of "100 Things to Eat in Alabama Before You Die." The vineyard hosts concerts and opens the farm to berry pickers during harvest season.
As a member of the Alabama Wineries and Grape Growers Association, Morgan Creek has been actively involved in efforts to relax some restrictions on wineries in Alabama, to better conform with laws in the rest of the United States (Sharp).
- Wilkinson, Kaija (July 15, 2005). "Alabama vineyards aging well: Winemaker cultivates 50% revenue growth in fields of Shelby County". Birmingham Business Journal. Retrieved August 28, 2009.
- Sharp, Fran (January 2006). "Retiree lives good life with local winery". AFC Cooperative Farming News. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- O'Hara, Jo Ellen (November 28, 2007). "http://www.al.com/holidays/index.ssf/2007/11/alabamas_pride_is_showing.html Alabama's Pride is showing]". al.com. Retrieved August 28, 2009.
- "100 Dishes to Eat in Alabama Before You Die" (2007). Alabama Tourism Department. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Vickery, Scottie (September 17, 2009). "Morgan Creek Vineyards in Harpersville to hold its ninth annual Grape Stomp". The Birmingham News. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- "Top Dishes" (2009). Alabama Tourism Department. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Morgan Creek Vineyards (Alabama). (August 30, 2010). Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved March 22, 2011.