Moses Mayfield was a 5-piece rock band from Birmingham. The group began in 2002 as the Stewart-Mayfield Project, pairing fellow Birmingham-Southern College students Matthew Mayfield and Stewart Vann. It grew to five members, losing Vann along the way, and began touring the southeast in addition to playing local shows.
After two independent releases the band filmed a live show at WorkPlay to send to promoters. A SonyBMG executive signed the band to a record deal on the strength of the performance video. Their major-label debut record, on Columbia, was 2007's The Inside, produced by Ben Grosse.
Members of Moses Mayfield were singer Mayfield, guitarist Will Mason, bassist Hans Ford, keyboardist Matt Taylor and drummer Will Drake. Mayfield announced the break-up of the band in a January 2, 2008 MySpace post. He cited the grueling nature of touring as a reason for pursuing a different musical path.
- Moses Mayfield. Unified (EP), 2003
- Moses Mayfield. Enough to Let Go, 2004
- Moses Mayfield. Live at WorkPlay (DVD), 2005
- Moses Mayfield. The Live EP (EP), 2007
- Moses Mayfield. The Inside, 2007
- Thompson, Brent () "Life on the Inside". Birmingham Weekly.
- Urquhart, Marietta (July 2007) "The Hot List: Moses Mayfield". Birmingham magazine. Vol. 47, No. 7, p. 162