Nichols Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church
The church was founded in the 1880s by Norman Ragland. With help from several area families he constructed a "Bush Arbor" at the corner of 21st Street and Avenue K. That temporary building was soon replaced with a frame church on the same site.
In the early 20th century, Mount Zion joined the 9th Episcopal District of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. In the 1940s, the congregation began planning a new church building on a parcel at 1436 20th Place. During construction, the church took its present name.
In 2001 the church moved to its present location.