The Norwood Clinic, incorporated in 1925 and opened to the public in 1926, was Alabama's first multi-specialty medical group practice. Dr Charles N. Carraway created the practice, which was based on his experiences at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. The privately-owned group remained the largest single medical group working at Carraway Hospital until 2008.
Currently the group is composed of more than 40 physicians in 20 specialties. In addition to its former clinic at 1528 Carraway Boulevard, the group operates satellite clinics on Stouts Road in Fultondale, on Fieldstown Road in Gardendale, on Springdale Lane in Tarrant, on Church Street in Warrior, and also in Guin and Winfield.
The practice reached its peak in the 1990s with more than 100 doctors participating. By 2001 that number had declined to 67 and currently stands at about 30. With declining investment in the Norwood hospital, the group has looked into relocating more than once. In 2003 they made plans to open a new medical office across U. S. Highway 280 from the "all-digital hospital" being built by HealthSouth, but that company's accounting scandal forced the project to be abandoned. In 2008 the group decided to move its headquarters practice to Brookwood Medical Center and hoped to recruit additional specialists.
In the fall of 2009 the group closed their location at Carraway Hospital and opened Norwood Clinic Plaza in a former Winn-Dixie at 339 Walker Chapel Road near I-65 in Fultondale. The facility mainly serves as a diagnostic and medical imaging center for patients from north and west Jefferson County. A full-time radiologist serves the diagnostic center, space was leased for a Southeast Urgent Care clinic headed by Paul Roberts, and additional office space was made available for four other physicians on a rotating basis.
- "Norwood Clinic." (January 2007) Birmingham Then & Now Special Promotion. Birmingham Magazine. Vol. 47, No. 1, p. 130
- Velasco, Anna (August 31, 2008) "Norwood Clinic to move headquarters out of Norwood." The Birmingham News
- Faulk, Kent (May 16, 2009) "Norwood Clinic moving diagnostic center to Fultondale, Alabama." The Birmingham News
- Velasco, Anna (October 12, 2009) "Birmingham's Norwood Clinic has new site in Fultondale to move closer to its patients." The Birmingham News
- Thrailkill, Laurel (January 18, 2023) "Primary care group makes major local acquisition, doubling footprint in state." Birmingham Business Journal
- Norwood Clinic website