November 17 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2015: U.S. Steel shut down the blast furnace at Fairfield Works.
- 2015: The 38th Annual Joint Meeting of the Southeast U.S./Japan and the Japan-U.S Southeast Associations (SEUS Japan) concluded in Birmingham.
- 2012: Lovoy's Italian restaurant closed.
- 2006: Ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Southern Comfort Conversions facility in Center Point was held.
- 2005: The grand opening of Bryant Bank in Greystone was held.
- 1977: 1963 church bombing suspect Robert Chambliss was convicted of murder.
- 1970: The Gardendale Area Vocational School was renamed George M. Rogers Area Vocational Center in honor of George M. Rogers.
- 1957: An F4 tornado tore through western Walker County.
- 1933: Pianist Sergei Rachmaninoff performed for a fourth time in Birmingham.
- 1970: Musicians and artists Peter and Paul Cordes Wilm were born.
- 1955: Judge Mark Gaines was born.
- 1951: Bombing victim Denise McNair was born.
- 1942: Architect Raymond Harris was born in Mobile, Mobile County.
- 1929: First baseman Norm Zauchin was born in Royal Oak, Michigan.
- 1859: Physician John Gillespy was born near Jonesboro.
- 1808: Judge Benjamin Porter was born on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina.
- 2020: Retired fire captain Jimmy Jews died in San Bernardino, California.
- 2019: Fairfield City Schools administrator Tracy Ford was murdered.
- 2014: Attorney Alice Lee died in Monroeville.
- 2014: Former dermatologist and art collector Bill Mason died.
- 2009: Former Miss Alabama Margie Orr Carter died.
- 1996: Nurse and educator Ida Moffett died at Baptist Medical Center Montclair
- 1942: Methodist minister James Hanes died.
- 1910: First Mayor of Homewood Charles Rice died.
- 1908: German Grand Prix driver Emile Strickler died at the Birmingham International Raceway during an attempt on the 24-hour world speed record.
- 2007: Samford lost at Eastern Illinois 17-33.
- 2007: UAB Blazers lost the Battle for the Bones 25-9 to Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 2001: Alabama defeated Auburn by a score of 31-7 in the Iron Bowl.
- 2001: The Alabama Slammers lost 52-6 at the Indianapolis Vipers.
- 1990: Ashley Johnson won the men's title and Christine Pfitzinger of Massachusetts set a women's course record with her winning time of 32:33 in the Vulcan Run.
- 1906: Alabama defeated Auburn by a score of 10-0 in the Iron Bowl.
- 1900: Auburn defeated Alabama by a score of 53-5 in the Iron Bowl.