Pinson School

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Pinson School, also called the Rock School or the Old Rock School is a former Jefferson County public school building at 4509 Pinson Boulevard in Pinson. The original building was constructed, largely with volunteer labor and rocks pulled from Turkey Creek, in 1921-22. It was later expanded with additional classrooms, a cafeteria and gymnasium.

The building was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1999.

The school board stopped using the building in the 1980s and it hosted a day care business until 1998. The school board voted to demolish the building, but local residents protested. In 2003 the Solid Rock Church entered into a lease-purchase agreement with the school board, restoring parts of the building for their use, and purchased the building outright the following year.

In 2013 the City of Pinson purchased the building and adjoining Triangle Park, for $975,000. Mayor Hoyt Sanders said the building could be used to house various city services, including the expansion of the Pinson Public Library. The library moved into the renovated space and held a grand opening celebration on Sunday, January 13, 2019.

References

  • McCarty, Sarah A. (March 7, 2013) "Pinson to purchase Old Rock School for $875,000." The Birmingham News
  • Gray, Jeremy (September 6, 2013) "Pinson votes to buy historic Old Rock School from Solid Rock Church for $975,000." The Birmingham News
  • Weyhrich, Lee (October 18, 2013) "Pinson closes on Old Rock School, plans to purchase another historic property." Trussville Tribune
  • Staff (January 9, 2019) "Pinson Public Library grand opening celebration Sunday" North Jefferson News