Pizitz Roebuck Plaza

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Artist's rendition from 1961 grand opening advertisement

Pizitz Roebuck Plaza was a large branch of the Pizitz department store that opened at Roebuck Plaza Shopping Center on March 13, 1961. It was converted to McRae's in 1986, sold to Belk in 2005 and closed in 2006.

Pizitz announced the new store, its third location after the flagship downtown store and a branch in Bessemer, in September 1959. President Isadore Pizitz cited requests from Eastern-area customers and a population report commissioned from urban planner Harland Bartholomew predicting growth in the Eastern and Southern sections of the Birmingham area.

Pizitz purchased a 350-by-250-foot parcel on the southwest corner of the shopping center, adjoining U.S. Highway 11. The $1 million-plus building, designed by Lawrence Whitten & Son, contained 65,000 square feet of floor space on two floors. It was completely air-conditioned and equipped with state-of-the-art furnishings and decor. Opening day advertisements touted that the building was constructed from steel made in Birmingham.

In 2012 the building underwent a $2.2 million renovation, including $200,000 in asbestos removal and tax incentives from the city of Birmingham, and is currently home to Planet Fitness.

References

External links