Redmont Distilling Company
The Redmont Distilling Company is a producer of vodka and gin.
The company was founded in 2015 by Stephen Watts and Jake Hendon. Jonathan Guidry joined later as a third partner. Their first distillery, which was not open to the public, was located at 2824A 5th Avenue South. Redmont Vodka was made from corn, and its "Alabama Cotton Gin" was flavored with juniper, coriander, orange peel, grains of paradise and organic cotton. The company's products were soon available at local restaurants, bars, and package stores. In May 2017 the company introduced a limited edition satsuma-flavored vodka. It was also recognized as "Alabama Distillery of the Year" at the 2017 New York International Spirits Competition. Over the next year or two, however, the brand began to disappear from store shelves and maintained no online presence.
In 2019 the brand was relaunched with new owners, including Charles Barkley, Claude Estes IV, and Montal Morton. Mark Mussafar was hired as CEO. Guidry and Hendon remained involved, but Watts was not. The company served as a presenting sponsor of the Birmingham Freedom Fest and operated a vendor booth at the event, selling cocktails. That fall it opened a new distillery in Building N at the Continental Gin Industrial Park at 4550 5th Avenue South. The relaunched spirits were described as a 7x distilled corn-based (gluten-free) vodka and a "subtle" gin made by flavoring the vodka with juniper, coriander, orange peel, and grains of paradise.
- Phillips, Ryan (May 26, 2015) "Downtown's new distillery: Meet Redmont Distilling Co." Birmingham Business Journal
- Poe, Kelly (March 6, 2016) "Birmingham's Redmont Distilling launches, will be official vodka of Sloss Fest." The Birmingham News
- Velasco, Eric (October 6, 2016) "Locally distilled gins hit the market in Birmingham." The Birmingham News
- Stuart, Shauna (August 1, 2019) "Charles Barkley listed as an owner of Redmont Distilling; new facility set to open in Avondale." The Birmingham News
- West, Ty (June 12, 2020) "Redmont Distilling names new CEO." Birmingham Business Journal
- Redmont Distilling Company website