Riverchase Career Connection Center
The Riverchase Career Connection Center (RC3) is a technical education program of Hoover City Schools located in the former Riverchase Middle School / Pelham Middle School building at 853 Willow Oak Drive. It offers career training for students in grades 10-12 at Hoover High School and Spain Park High School.
The 92,000 square-foot building was purchased from the Pelham Board of Education for $4.25 million. Another $13.9 million was invested in renovations and equipment. The architect for the renovated building was Goodwyn, Mills & Cawood. Stone Building Company was awarded the construction contract. The Hoover Fire Department donated two reserve fire trucks and other gear for use at the center.
The program was dedicated on August 1, 2019 and opened to students a week later under the leadership of director Ron Dodson. Initial enrollment, previously estimated at around 400 students, was higher than expected, with 735 students approved to participate in two shifts. Some enrollees were admitted from the Homewood City Schools system.
Hoover High School's existing Health Science Academy was relocated to the center, joining new programs in hospitality, computer technology, firefighting, emergency services, and building trades. The setting is designed to simulate a workplace, with students applying by interview and clocking in and out of shifts. In addition to hands-on work training, RC3 provides English and mathematics classes tailored for career interests.
- Culinary Arts and Hospitality Academy (cooking, serving, event management)
- Cyber Innovation Academy (programming, network administration, cyber-security)
- Fire and Emergency Services Academy (firefighting, emergency medical assistance)
- Health Science Academy (nursing, pharmacy, emergency services)
- Skilled Trades Academy (building construction, electrical, HVAC, and welding).
- Williams, Emily (July 23, 2019) "Great Expectations: Hoover’s RC3 Opening With Almost Double the Students Projected." Over the Mountain Journal
- Anderson, Jon (August 1, 2019) "Hoover dedicates Riverchase Career Connection Center." Hoover Sun
- Riverchase Career Connection Center at hoovercityschools.net