Ruhamah (pronounced "Ru-HAY-ma", also known as Rockville) was first settled on March 23, 1819, the first pioneer settlement in the eastern part of Jones Valley. Jacob Frieley and John Jones erected their cabins at what is now Oporto-Madrid Boulevard (77th Street) between 1st Avenue South and 3rd Avenue South in East Lake.
The Ruhamah Baptist Church started there in a log building.
- Moss, Florence Hawkins Wood (1947) Building Birmingham and Jefferson County. Birmingham: Birmingham Printing Company.