Symcom was founded in 2000 by Robert Mason to manufacture and distribute pump controls used in the oil and gas industry. It adopted its present name to reflect the "Sensorless Pump Off Control" software which it developed.
SPOC was named to the "Forbes 5000" list of fastest-growing private companies of 2014. In 2015 the company acquired KJ Controls Canada of Spruce Grove, Alberta. In 2020 the company employed 67 people.
In September 2023 SPOC entered into a strategic partnership with Mayer Electric Supply to jointly improve their supply chain, inventory management, and sustainability practices, primarily by sharing a service storage facility.
- Lloyd, Gary (August 22, 2014) "Trussville company makes Inc. 5000 list." Trussville Tribune
- Davis, Bryan (February 20, 2015) "Birmingham's SPOC Automation Inc. acquires Canadian firm." Birmingham Business Journal
- Parker, Illyshia (April 28, 2023) "Local companies make $4.7M Trussville warehouse property deal." Birmingham Business Journal
- Parker, Illyshia (June 27, 2023) "SPOC Automation expanding manufacturing facilities, boosting employee count." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thrailkill, Laurel (September 8, 2023) "Mayer Electric, SPOC create operational partnership." Birmingham Business Journal
- SPOC Automation website