Shades Valley Lodge No. 829

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Present lodge building in October 2008

Shades Valley Lodge, No. 829 is a Masonic lodge chartered by the Grand Lodge of Alabama (Free & Accepted Masons of Alabama) at 8 Hollywood Boulevard in Homewood.

Shades Valley Lodge No. 829, F & A.M. was chartered by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Alabama on December 8, 1921, A.L. 5921. The first two locations of the Lodge were in Rosedale, now part of Homewood, on 18th Street South.

Dr John Turpin Callaway was the first Master of Shades Valley Lodge. When he constructed the building located on the southwest corner of Oxmoor Road and Broadway Street, he had the top floor designed and built especially for Shades Valley Lodge No. 829, F. & A.M.. The Lodge was next located in Dr. Callaway’s building.

Shades Valley Lodge next bought property on Hollywood Boulevard from the Shades Valley post of the American Legion and Maranatha Baptist Church, which is the present location of the Lodge. The Lodge moved to the basement constructed on the property by Maranatha Baptist Church on June 30, 1955.

The corner stone was laid on October 27, 1956. Brother Troy L. Nunn, Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Alabama, was in charge and assisted by other Grand Lodge Officers.

The lodge currently has over 215 members. Meetings are held every Thursday night at 7:00 p.m.

External links