Sikes Shoe Company
When Frank Youngs Jr married Sikes' daughter in 1963, Sikes promised Young his own store within five years. In 1968 that promise became a reality with the opening of Sikes & Youngs Shoe Company in Vestavia Hills. A few years later, Youngs removed his name from the store's sign because Sikes was the name that had built recognition and a good reputation. Youngs ultimately divorced Sikes' daughter, but he had already bought the business from his brother-in-law, Wayne Sikes, in 1991.
In 1993, Youngs closed the Vestavia location but opened another Sikes Children's Shoes in the Riverchase Promenade across U.S. Highway 31 from the Galleria. Although the Hoover store did well, Youngs eventually went to a month-to-month lease as he got older to avoid a long-term one. In 2006, he was asked by Riverchase Promenade management to close so the center space of the shopping center could be reconfigured for Kirkland's, which was moving out of the Galleria. Therefore, the Hoover store closed on December 26, 2006. The three Hoover employees were transferred to the Homewood store.
In 2014 Laura Player, a long-time employee of the store, purchased both Sikes and Jack n’ Jill from Frank Youngs. The two shops operated as one, joined by an interior passage. When her 20-year lease in the deteriorating Stevens Building expired in December 2020, Player decided to relocate to a new building on the site of the former Bob Whitley Decorating building on 19th Place South. The new location offers more parking and floor space, as well as larger accessible restrooms furnished with changing tables.
- Current: Sikes' Children's Shoes / Jack N' Jill Shop, 2719 19th Place South, Homewood, Spring 2021–
- Sikes' Children's Shoes, 2920 18th Street South, Homewood (map), February 1955–December 2020
- Jack N' Jill Shop, 2918 18th Street South, Homewood (map), –December 2020
- Sikes & Youngs Shoes, Vestavia Mall, Vestavia Hills, 1968–1993
- Sikes' Children's Shoes, 1725 Montgomery Highway South #115, Hoover (map), 1993–2006
- Wilkinson, Kaija. (February 15, 2006) "Keeping it comfortable." Birmingham Business Journal
- Goodman, Sherri C. (February 2, 2007) "Kirkland's moving to new location." The Birmingham News
- Hoover closing date from phone call to Sikes store. (February 2, 2007)
- Rebman, Stephanie (December 31, 2020) "Sikes Shoes and Jack n’ Jill Shop relocating in Homewood." Birmingham Business Journal
- Schnader, Ingrid (March 24, 2021) "Sikes and Jack n’ Jill opening new location." The Homewood Star
- Sikes Children's Shoes website