Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church was a congregation of the Alabama Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the so-called "Northern Methodist Church". In 1939, three Methodist denominations united and it became Simpson Methodist Church.

The congregation built its first church on the southeast corner of 19th Street South and 3rd Avenue South worshipped there until 1911 when it moved to the northwest corner of 7th Avenue North and 25th Street North. The former church was sold to Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.

The church building on 7th Avenue is a Gothic-revival auditorium church. The Dixie Manfactuere announced in 1926 that the church building designed by William Welton and constructed by Mann Brothers Building Co. had been completed.

While there were Methodist Episcopal congregations in surrounding communities, such as Homewood, Pratt City and Tarrant, Simpson was probably the only White Methodist Episcopal Church in Birmingham. (There were several Black Methodist Episcopal churches).

In 1941, shortly after the denominational union, Simpson sold its building to Central Church of Christ.