Sol y Luna
Sol y Luna is an upscale Mexican tapas restaurant, founded by Guillermo Castro and Daniel Rubio in 1997 at 2811 7th Avenue South in Lakeview. Castro, who also owned Cantina, named the restaurant in honor of his two sons, Marcus and Gabe. After Guillermo died in 2011, the restaurant was taken over by his brothers, Alex and Jorge.
The restaurant featured small plates of fresh-made Hispanic and southwestern dishes. The bar featured over 30 different tequilas. A 2012 remodeling rejuvenated the interior and added a new metal sign created by artist Tracy Martin. The Castros closed the restaurant in October 2013.
In September 2019 Jorge Castro announced that he would open a new Sol y Luna at Mountain Brook's Lane Parke shopping center. The new restaurant, in the space vacated by Local Taco, opened in February 2020.
|2811 7th Avenue South
Jack Brown’s Beer & Burger Joint
|920 Lane Parke Court
- Carlton, Bob (July 18, 2011) "Birmingham restaurateur Guillermo Castro, who owned Sol y Luna and the Cantina, dies at 52." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bob (October 17, 2012) "Sol y Luna restaurant in Birmingham's Lakeview District gets a new look and a new menu." The Birmingham News
- Carlton, Bon (November 1, 2013) "Birmingham restaurant Sol y Luna closes after 16 years, will open for special events only." The Birmingham News
- "Sol y Luna to reopen in Mountain Brook's Lane Parke." (September 25, 2019) Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (January 10, 2020) "Sol Y Luna to begin accepting reservations this month." The Birmingham News