St Clair County Courthouse
The St Clair County Courthouse, erected by Littleton Yarbrough in 1844 in Ashville, is the seat of government for the northern part of St Clair County and the oldest courthouse in Alabama that is still in use. It replaced a log building that had been erected 20 years earlier. Another courthouse, built in 1902 in Pell City serves the southern half. Though the main structure was built in the 1840s, there have been numerous additions and modifications since then to the two-story white-painted brick building. Records indicate that major changes were made in 1886, 1911, 1934 and 1964. A 1982 addition added office space in the corners of the building, which currently totals 22,000 square feet.
The building contains one large courtroom for jury trials and a smaller one for district court hearings. In addition to offices for the St Clair County District Attorney and circuit clerk, the building currently houses the Ashville Archives and Museum and the St Clair County Tourism Office.
In 2007 County officials will consider a proposal from 2WR/HolmesWilkins Architects of Montgomery to completely renovate the interior, providing space for a second trial courtroom, additional offices and bathrooms, and completely updated utilities. An alternate proposal to update the existing spaces was not significantly less expensive, and the cost of a new courthouse building was projected to be significantly higher.
As part of the proposed renovation the Archives and Museum and tourism office would move to a separate building.
- Cason, Mike (November 27, 2006) "Decision to renovate courthouse slated for '07." Birmingham News.
- Cason, Mike (December 21, 2006) "Preservation plan builds interest." Birmingham News.