St Paul's Catholic School
The original Holy Angels Academy was established by Father John J. Browne. With permission from Bishop John Quinlan he contacted Mother DeFrosa Smythe whose Sisters of Loretto operated a successful school in Louisville, Kentucky. Frank O'Brien assisted with the transportation of a small group of sisters, who began holding residing and classes in a rented house in 1880.
O'Brien completed construction of a school building and Holy Angels Convent for use by the sisters on Block 75 at the corner of 22nd Street and 4th Avenue North in 1882. That school closed in 1884, but reopened in 1886 as St Paul's School, with a newly-installed group of Benedictine sisters from St Walburga's Convent in Covington, Kentucky in charge of instruction. When it reopened, the school enrolled 200 students.
Under pastor Francis McCormack the school and convent buildings were extensively repaired and renovated at a cost of $200,000 in the 1950s.