The dealership was founded in 1918 by Reese Adamson on Birmingham's Southside. With his partners, A. D. Harris and Ralph Howard, Adamson moved the dealership to the remodeled Grand Theatre at 1922 2nd Avenue South in midtown in 1937.
In the 1960s, Adamson Ford contracted to repair Birmingham Police Department cruisers.
The company was bought by Edward and John Stivers of St Louis, Missouri in late 2020. In 2021 Stivers bought the former Virginia College building at the Palisades and announced plans to construct a new automotive center on the site, including a Ford Trustmark showroom featuring the re-imagined Ford Bronco, as well as showrooms for the Vantas and Tiggo vehicles manufactured by the Chinese state-owned manufacturer Chery. The City of Birmingham provided up to $2.1 million in tax incentives for the project. Stivers acquired the parcel in December of that year for $6 million.
In 2022 Stivers' landlord, William Israel, sold the dealership's downtown property to a group of developers led by Dick Schmalz of RGS Properties and Scott Bryant of Cyprus Partners for $21.25 million.
- Jibrell, Anisa (June 11, 2018) "Staff plans celebrations for dealership's centennial." Automotive News
- "Longtime downtown car dealership under new ownership." (January 27, 2021) Birmingham Business Journal
- Van der Bijl, Hanno (June 11, 2021) "Stivers details plans for car dealership at Palisades." Birmingham Business Journal
- Mann, Joshua (December 6, 2021) "Stivers acquires Palisades Shopping Center space." Birmingham Business Journal
- Parker, Illyshia (January 6, 2022) "Stivers Ford of Birmingham sold in $21M deal, developers plan mixed-use project." Birmingham Business Journal
- Stivers Ford of Birmingham website