Symphony in the Summer
The Sounds for Summer is an annual orchestral pop series performed outdoors by the Alabama Symphony Orchestra at various public parks.
The series formerly invited featured guest performers and charged admission, but the costs of erecting fences around the much-used Caldwell Park proved unmanageable.
Currently the series is condensed into a weekend of free performances at downtown's Railroad Park, typically culminating in a "family day" on Sunday with musical selections from kid-friendly movies.
All performances held at the Alabama Theatre
- May 28: "Classical Mystery Tour" with Jim Owen, Tony Kishman, John Brosnan, and Chris Camilleri
- June 3: "Newgrass" with Act of Congress and Three on a String
- June 4: "Country Hit Makers" with Brett James and Hillary Lindsey
- June 18: "The Music of Michael Jackson" produced by Windborne Music
- May 22: Charlie Daniels Band
- May 29: Elvis tribute with Terry Mike Jeffrey
- June 5: Arlo Guthrie
- June 12: Three Broadway Divas
- May 25: "Maestro's Choice". Symphony conducted by Justin Brown.
- June 1: "The Orchestra Strikes Back: Music from the Star Wars Saga". Symphony conducted by Christopher Confessore
- June 8: "Bravo Broadway" featuring Susan Egan and Sal Viviano. Orchestra conducted by Confessore.
- June 15: Three on a String. Orchestra conducted by Confessore.
- May 26: Lee Greenwood. Orchestra conducted by Christopher Confessore
- June 2: The Coasters. Orchestra conducted by Confessore (cancelled due to storms)
- June 9: "Bravo Broadway" with Susan Egan and Michael Maguire. Orchestra conducted by Confessore
- June 16: "Classics Under the Stars". Music of Prokovief, Tchaikovsky and others. Orchestra conducted by Justin Brown.
- Ratliff, Phillip (June 11, 2011) "Alabama Symphony Orchestra and Railroad Park have a bright future." The Birmingham News
- Sounds for Summer Series at alabamasymphony.org