The Denham Building, also called The Denham, is a 2019 mixed-use redevelopment of the former Swalley building, also known as the Merchants & Manufacturers Terminal, at 1143 1st Avenue South in Birmingham's Parkside District. The building was named for the architect's of the 1927 building, Denham, Van Keuren & Denham. Their initials "D. VK. D" have been used, somewhat cryptically, in the marketing for the redevelopment.
The redevelopment project was announced by Third & Urban, developers of Ponce City Market in Atlanta, Georgia. The $30 million project includes 59 apartments and 81,000 square feet of retail and office space. The architectural design and construction project were led by Creature. Arlington Properties is managing the property and leasing the residential units, while Colliers International markets commercial leases.
- Monday Night Brewing Social Club (opened September 3, 2020)
- Alabama Power Economic Development Office
- Techstars Alabama EnergyTech Accelerator
- West, Ty (August 17, 2017) "Mystery buyer purchases prime Parkside property." Birmingham Business Journal
- Thornton, William (July 10, 2018) "Construction begins on Denham Building in Parkside." The Birmingham News
- Godwin, Brent (November 16, 2018) "Atlanta developer eyes mid-2019 completion for The Denham Building." Birmingham Business Journal
- Chambers, Jesse (June 19, 2019) "Opening the western front" Iron City Ink
- Thornton, William (February 20, 2020) "Denham Building announces commercial tenants." The Birmingham News
- Denham Building website