Thuss Medical Center
The Thuss Medical Center is a 2-story 12,000 square-foot medical office building at 2124 4th Avenue South in Birmingham's Five Points South neighborhood. It was constructed in 1962 for the Thuss Clinic for Industrial Medicine and Surgery, which relocated from the Wheeler Building at 2230 3rd Avenue North.
The 100-foot by 100-foot modern-style building is divided into 20-foot bays supported on concrete columns. The upper floor carries over 15 covered parking spaces at ground level, and is clad in large pre-cast concrete panels with exposed aggregate and horizontal windows.
In 2020 the building, owned by Chauncey Thuss Jr, was offered for sale for $1.3 million. It was purchased by the Stough Group of Cincinnati, Ohio for $943,000. Stough, which owns two other parcels on the block, successfully applied to the Birmingham Design Review Committee for a demolition permit. The company, which primarily develops medical office buildings, plan to temporarily redevelop the site as a surface parking lot, with future plans for a new building on the block.
- Thuss Clinic for Industrial Medicine and Surgery, 1962–
- MedPlex addiction recovery, 2009–2020
- Regional Pain MD, 2012–2020
- Pepper & Odom attorneys, –2020
- Van der Bijl, Hanno (September 23, 2020) "Ohio developer Stough Group acquires Southside property ahead of project." Birmingham Business Journal