Timothy Tingle (born 1958 in Chattanooga, Tennessee) is a miner, farmer and author, and also a part-time woodcarver responsible for creating nearly 40 public works of art from dead cedars in "Tinglewood" at Montevallo's Orr Park.
Tingle graduated from Montevallo High School and spent three years at the University of Montevallo. He took a job with Jim Walter Resources in the summer of 1979 and has worked in their No. 3 and No. 7 mines. As a Fire Boss he installs and maintains water pumps and patrols for other mine hazards.
Outside of mining, Tingle stays busy carving and teaching woodcraft. He has also written and published several fantasy/science fiction novels, often drawing from his experiences traveling around the world.
He carved his first "tree sculpture" during the Blizzard of 1993 and, encouraged by city officials, has continued to add new carvings to the park, often faces peeking from behind the bark or fantastic animals. He uses chainsaws as well as chisels and other tools to create the works.
Tim and his wife Nanette live on an 8-acre farm near the Pea Ridge community and have five grown children: Grace, Andrew, Joseph, Chris and Kevin.
- Tingle, Tim Song of the Night. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse Books ISBN 9780759677722
- Tingle, Tim Through the Door. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse Books
- Tingle, Tim The Chosen One. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse Books ISBN 9781434337214
- Tingle, Tim (2003) The Collector. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse Books ISBN 9781403368201
- Tingle, Tim (2004) Return to Columbia. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse Books ISBN 141403797X
- Tingle, Tim (2006) Eye of the Sorcerer. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse Books ISBN 1425914721
- Tingle, Tim Illusions. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse ISBN 9781434399366
- Tingle, Tim Lester Graff. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse ISBN 9781449007416
- "Tim Tingle, Fireboss/Pumper No. 7 Mine" (August 2007) Workings magazine. Jim Water Resources
- Pelfrey, David (October 15, 2009) "Major Works by a Miner." Black & White
- Tim Tingle books at jwrworkings.com