Tuggle Elementary School
|Tuggle Elementary School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||412 12th Court North, (map)|
|Principal||Ann Marie Eskridge|
|Colors||blue & gold|
Carrie A. Tuggle Elementary School (formerly Enon Ridge School) is a public K-5 elementary school located at 412 12th Court North in the Enon Ridge neighborhood and part of the Birmingham City Schools system.
It was named in honor of the former Tuggle Institute, a privately funded school and orphanage founded by social worker Carrie Tuggle in 1903. The Institute forged a partnership with Birmingham City Schools in 1926 and after it was forced to close in 1933 the Birmingham Board of Education purchased the 15-acre site and its 13 structures. Enon Ridge School opened in 1934 and was renamed in Tuggle's honor in 1936. Tuggle herself is buried on the school grounds.
The school was rebuilt as a new, modern elementary school in 1952. Vandals caused hundreds of dollars of damage to the school property on August 24, 1955. Major additions were made to the school in 1957 and 1961. The latter project, designed by Warren Knight & Davis, added 7 classrooms, a new heating plant, storage rooms and restrooms. The work was done by Atchison & Atchison at a cost of $125,000.
In 2007 Tuggle Elementary was placed on a list of schools facing possible closure in light of the system's declining student enrollment and shaky finances. It did not appear on a revised list distributed in January 2008. In 2009 the Board considered a plan to merge Tuggle Elementary with Hill Elementary School, constructing a new building on the site of the former Lincoln Middle School.
Board member Emanuel Ford argued persuasively in favor of locating the new school on the Enon Ridge site where Tuggle's memorial remains. Ground was broken for the new Tuggle Elementary School, designed by Clay Dorsey of Dorsey Architects, on November 14, 2010. The $13 million, 75,000 square foot school includes 26 classrooms, a 300-seat gymnasium, cafeteria, library, and special art, music and computer rooms. Short towers over the front entrance and library are designed to recall the original Tuggle Institute. The new building opened on August 19, 2013.
- Carrie N. Moore, 1923–1924
- G. F. Day, 1950s
- Johnnie Finkley
- Martha Barber, 1980s
- Teresa Raglend, 2010
- Ann Marie Eskridge, 2018
- Angela Davis, activist
- "Wanton Orgy of Vandals Wrecks Tuggle School" (August 25, 1955) Birmingham Post-Herald
- "Schools Adding Near $3 Million In New Facilities" (January 21, 1961) Birmingham Post-Herald - via Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections
- Birmingham Board of Education (c. 1982) “History of Carrie A. Tuggle School.” (mimeograph)
- Norris, Toraine (March 23, 2009) "Parents, leaders discuss consolidation of Tuggle, Hill elementary schools in Birmingham." The Birmingham News
- Ruisi, Anne (May 27, 2010) "Birmingham's new Tuggle Elementary designed with neighbors in mind." The Birmingham News
- Faulk, Kent (November 14, 2010) "New beginning for Birmingham's Tuggle Elementary marked with groundbreaking." The Birmingham News
- Tuggle Elementary School at bhamcityschools.org