UAB School of Nursing building
The first facility used by what was then known as the University Hospital School of Nursing was the former Dr Gus' Drive-In on 18th Street South, which was dedicated on November 26, 1958. That building was demolished in 1966 for construction of the Center for Developmental and Learning Disorders, as the degree program in Birmingham was eliminated.
A year later, the Tuscaloosa-based University of Alabama School of Nursing relocated to Birmingham's Medical Center. A symbolic groundbreaking ceremony for a new nursing school building was held on July 30, 1968. The new building, which includes a Learning Resource Center, opened in 1971. A "graduate tower" was added in the late 1970s to house graduate programs as well as the UAB Center for Nursing Research. In 1992 a time capsule was placed in the building's basement, to be opened in 2042.
An addition on the west side of the School of Nursing building was completed in 1994. Remodeling of most of the school's interior rooms was completed between 2006 and 2009. Common areas in and around the building were renovated in 2011.
A major expansion and renovation of the entire School of Nursing building was begun in late 2016 and completed in 2018. The $32 million project expanded the facility to 72,000 square feet, with a new five-story glass-clad wing along University Boulevard. The new building was designed by Williams Blackstock Architects and built by M. J. Harris Construction Services.
The building is connected on the second floor to a pedestrian plaza and crosswalk that provides access to Lister Hill Library, the UAB Webb Building, the Henry Peters Building, and the Learning Resource Center.
- "Breaking new ground: School kicks off $32M expansion" (October 25, 2016) UAB School of Nursing press release
- Songer, Joe (August 16, 2018) "Tour the $32 million UAB School Of Nursing renovation." The Birmingham News