UAB University Healthcare Authority
The UAB University Healthcare Authority is a UAB-created authority established in 2019 under the University Authority Act of 2016 to operate Cooper Green Mercy Health Services for Jefferson County, beginning on April 1, 2020.
Under its agreement with the Jefferson County Commission, the Healthcare Authority will manage the county's indigent healthcare program for a 40-year term, renewable for two additional 10-year terms. The County will leverage its indigent care fund to finance construction of a new Cooper Green Clinic. UAB will lease the property for $1 a year, and fund routine maintenance, repairs and utility service. The county will serve as the nominal employer of clinic staff, and remain liable for unbudgeted repairs and improvements, including environmental liability and remedial work. UAB reserves the first option on any sale of property.
The Authority's seven members and its president are all appointed by UAB. The initial membership consists of:
- Reagan Durant, Chief of Cooper Green Medical Staff and UAB Division of Preventive Medicine
- Raheel Farough, UAB Health System
- John Henry, Jefferson County Finance Department
- Joe Knight, Jefferson County Commission
- Kimberly Payne, University of Alabama Health Services Foundation
- Tony Petelos, Jefferson County
- David Randall, UAB Health System
- Hrynkiw, Ivana (April 16, 2019) "County commission discusses UAB taking over Cooper Green health services." The Birmingham News
- Johnson, Roy S. (April 24, 2019) "Credit JeffCo commissioner rookies for much-needed scrutiny on Cooper Green agreement." The Birmingham News
- Hrynkiw, Ivana (November 13, 2019) "Jefferson County approves UAB Healthcare Authority takeover of Cooper Green." The Birmingham News