- This article is about the grammar school. For the high school, see Ullman High School.
|District||Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||1205 6th Avenue South, (map)|
Samuel Ullman School is a former Birmingham City Schools school. It opened in 1901 as a grammar school for white students, and was named for Samuel Ullman, a long-serving member of the Birmingham Board of Education. The two-story brick schoolhouse was located at 1205 6th Avenue South, facing 12th Street.
The first principal of Ullman School was Mary Dabney. Eleven classrooms were added to the original 4-room unit in 1909. In 1937 the school was converted into a high school for African-American students from Southside and Titusville.
- Mary Dabney, 1901-
- Cruikshank, George M. (1920) History of Birmingham and Its Environs (2 vol.) Chicago: Lewis Publishing.