W. S. Brown Mercantile Company

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The W. S. Brown Mercantile Company was a dry goods and grocery store located at 2305-2307 Morris Avenue. It was founded in 1882 by William Brown, former partner of William Hood.

In 1905 Brown constructed the W. S. Brown Mercantile Building at 2233-2235 2nd Avenue North. By 1929 the company had moved two blocks east to 2419-2423 2nd Avenue North. At that time, J. A. Downey was president, with Brown's son-in-law, S. Y. Caldwell as vice-president and L. F. Berry as secretary-treasurer.