Waldo Bridge

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Waldo Bridge in 2004

The Waldo Bridge or Riddle's Mill Bridge, is a 115-foot-long wooden covered bridge over Talladega Creek at Riddle's Mill, south of Waldo. The bridge is thought to have been constructed in 1858. It employs a combination Howe and Queen-post truss frame of heavy timbers.

At the end of the Civil War the bridge was crossed by Wilson's Raiders and remained open to traffic until the 1960s, when its approaches were removed by order of the Alabama State Highway Department.

In the 1970s, the privately-owned bridge was restored and used as the centerpiece of a festival ground, home of the Waldo Sorghum Festival. The grounds are currently closed, but permission to view the bridge can be sought at the Old Mill Restaurant.

References

  • Prince, A. G. (1981) Alabama's Covered Bridges: Past and Present. revised edition. Ensley: Best Printing Service

External links

Locate with
Google Maps