William Barker residence

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The William Barker residence was a historic house built by Major William Barker at the corner of 29th Street and 10th Avenue North just south of the area later developed as Norwood.

Barker, a civil engineer who laid out Birmingham's original lot lines for the Elyton Land Company according to John T. Milner's plat, selected the block on which he constructed the house as part of his payment. His original two-room dogtrot log cabin was incorporated into the expanded frame house which stood until 1954.

References