Winnie Davis Wigwam

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Winnie Davis Wigwam was a 185-foot by 250-foot temporary structure erected by Camp Hardee of the United Confederate Veterans to house general sessions of the 1894 Confederate Veterans Reunion in Birmingham. The structure, which seated 10,000 people, was secured through the efforts of William Reynolds, Camp Hardee's commander, and named in honor of Varina Anne "Winnie" Davis, youngest daughter of former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. It was erected on the corner of 1st Avenue North and 23rd Street.

References

  • Confederate Veteran (January 1894) Vol. 2, No. 1
  • "The Fourth Grand Reunion of United Confederate Veterans" (April 25, 1894) Weekly Age
  • "Mrs. Jefferson Davis: A Richmond Explanation of the Birmingham 'Cold Shoulder'." (May 7, 1894) The Daily-Herald (Brownsville, Texas)
  • "William H. Reynolds" (March 1914) Confederate Veteran. Vol. 22, No. 3