Wylam K-8 School
|Wylam K-8 School|
|Birmingham City Schools|
|Location||701 Erie Street Wylam, (map)|
|Colors||blue & gold|
The first Wylam School was constructed by the then-independent Town of Wylam in 1900. It was absorbed into the Birmingham system as part of the Greater Birmingham annexations of 1910. The present school building was constructed in 1922 to designs by architect David O. Whilldin. The school was one of a group of new elementary schools planned during the early 1920s with the help of St Louis-based consultant William Itten. Whilldin adapted the plan into a three-winged variant to take advantage of the site's natural slope. The auditorium at the rear was built over a cafeteria and shops on a basement level emerging from the hillside. The school's library was located above the entranceway and featured a large bay window.
Under a school consolidation plan proposed by acting superintendent Barbara Allen and approved by the Board, Wylam Elementary began accepting students from A. G. Gaston K-8 School after the 2011 school year. On December 9, 2008 the Board of Education approved an $11.1 million contract with the Argo Building Company for a new Wylam K-8 School building to house the increase in enrollment. The new building, designed by Exford Architects, opened to students in 2010.
- Ittner, W. B. (July 1922) "Modern Schools in the South: The Present and Future Birmingham Schools". School Board Journal. Vol. 65, No. 1
- Norris, Toraine (December 10, 2008) "Birmingham Board of Education OKs a new Wylam school for $11.1 million." 'The Birmingham News
- Chandler, Kim (June 18, 2013) "Alabama Accountability Act: 78 schools listed as failing/ Current private school students not eligible for tax credits." The Birmingham News