Difference between revisions of "14th Street South"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Notable Locations (north to south))
 
Line 26: Line 26:
  
 
* [[2nd Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue B]]) intersects (west only, 1400-1500 blocks closed in 2012 for construction of Regions Field)
 
* [[2nd Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue B]]) intersects (west only, 1400-1500 blocks closed in 2012 for construction of Regions Field)
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 130]]):
 
*** 201-231: [[Regions Field]] (built 2013)
 
*** 201-231: [[Regions Field]] (built 2013)
 
**** 201: former location of [[Moore-Handley Warehouse No. 4]] (1926-1941), [[UAB University Stores Warehouse]]
 
**** 201: former location of [[Moore-Handley Warehouse No. 4]] (1926-1941), [[UAB University Stores Warehouse]]
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 129]]):
 
*** 200-234: [[University House]] apartments (built 2007)
 
*** 200-234: [[University House]] apartments (built 2007)
  
 
* [[3rd Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue C]]) intersects
 
* [[3rd Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue C]]) intersects
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 153]]):
 
*** [[Midtown Pediatrics]]
 
*** [[Midtown Pediatrics]]
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 154]]):
 
*** 302: former location of [[Hopewell Baptist Church]] (2000)
 
*** 302: former location of [[Hopewell Baptist Church]] (2000)
 
*** 304: former location of [[Mutual Service Station]] (1964-1970)
 
*** 304: former location of [[Mutual Service Station]] (1964-1970)
Line 43: Line 43:
  
 
* [[4th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue D]]) intersects
 
* [[4th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue D]]) intersects
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 156]]):
 
*** 401-431: [[Jefferson County Department of Health]] General Services Annex
 
*** 401-431: [[Jefferson County Department of Health]] General Services Annex
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 155]]):
 
*** 400: former location of [[Birmingham Macaroni Company]] (1911-1926), [[Pizitz]] warehouse (1939-1941), [[Discount Sales]] used furniture (1964-1970)
 
*** 400: former location of [[Birmingham Macaroni Company]] (1911-1926), [[Pizitz]] warehouse (1939-1941), [[Discount Sales]] used furniture (1964-1970)
 
*** 430: former location of [[14th Street Service Station]] (1939-1970), [[Goodwin Oil & Tire Co.]] (2000), [[Citgo]] gas station, [[Baths Barks & Bubbles Pet Spa]] (2017-2019)
 
*** 430: former location of [[14th Street Service Station]] (1939-1970), [[Goodwin Oil & Tire Co.]] (2000), [[Citgo]] gas station, [[Baths Barks & Bubbles Pet Spa]] (2017-2019)
  
 
* [[5th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue E]]) intersects
 
* [[5th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue E]]) intersects
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 179]]):
 
*** 501-515: [[Jefferson County Department of Health Parking Deck]]
 
*** 501-515: [[Jefferson County Department of Health Parking Deck]]
 
**** 501: former location of [[Allison Oil Co.]] gas station (1964), [[Randolph Standard Service Station]] (1970)
 
**** 501: former location of [[Allison Oil Co.]] gas station (1964), [[Randolph Standard Service Station]] (1970)
 
*** 517-533: [[Guy M. Tate Building]], [[Jefferson County Department of Health]] (built 1979)
 
*** 517-533: [[Guy M. Tate Building]], [[Jefferson County Department of Health]] (built 1979)
 
**** 521: former location of [[Crawford Boiler & Steel Co.]] (1939-1970)
 
**** 521: former location of [[Crawford Boiler & Steel Co.]] (1939-1970)
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 180]]):
 
*** 500-514: [[UAB Department of Human Resources]]
 
*** 500-514: [[UAB Department of Human Resources]]
 
**** 504-506: pair of duplex residences (1970)
 
**** 504-506: pair of duplex residences (1970)
Line 62: Line 62:
  
 
* [[6th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue F]]) intersects
 
* [[6th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue F]]) intersects
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 182]]):
 
*** 601-633: [[Cooper Green Deck|Cooper Green Parking Deck]]
 
*** 601-633: [[Cooper Green Deck|Cooper Green Parking Deck]]
 
**** 607: former location of [[Sisters of Mercy Convent]] (1926-1941), [[Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School]] (1964-1970)
 
**** 607: former location of [[Sisters of Mercy Convent]] (1926-1941), [[Our Lady of Fatima Catholic School]] (1964-1970)
 
**** 613: former location of [[Johnnie's Market]] grocery (1964)
 
**** 613: former location of [[Johnnie's Market]] grocery (1964)
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 181]]):
 
*** 600-634: [[Bartow Arena]] (built 1988 as "UAB Arena")
 
*** 600-634: [[Bartow Arena]] (built 1988 as "UAB Arena")
 
**** 624: former location of [[Greater Shiloh Baptist Church]] (1927-1968)
 
**** 624: former location of [[Greater Shiloh Baptist Church]] (1927-1968)
  
 
* [[7th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue G]]) intersects (east only)
 
* [[7th Avenue South]] (formerly [[Avenue G]]) intersects (east only)
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 239]]):
 
*** 701-733: [[Hill Student Center]] (built 2015), former location of [[Hill University Center]] (1983-2013)
 
*** 701-733: [[Hill Student Center]] (built 2015), former location of [[Hill University Center]] (1983-2013)
 
**** 701: former location of [[Manhattan Cleaners]] (1939-1941), [[14th Street Resale Store]] (1964), [[14th Street Rummage Sales]] (1970)
 
**** 701: former location of [[Manhattan Cleaners]] (1939-1941), [[14th Street Resale Store]] (1964), [[14th Street Rummage Sales]] (1970)
Line 77: Line 77:
 
**** 707: former location of [[Madame Clisby]] beauty salons (1910s), [[James J. Cox Funeral Home]] (1939-1941)
 
**** 707: former location of [[Madame Clisby]] beauty salons (1910s), [[James J. Cox Funeral Home]] (1939-1941)
 
**** 727: former location of [[Thomas School]] (1952)
 
**** 727: former location of [[Thomas School]] (1952)
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 240]]):
 
*** 700-734: [[Campbell Hall]]
 
*** 700-734: [[Campbell Hall]]
 
**** 700: former location of  
 
**** 700: former location of  

Latest revision as of 10:21, 13 August 2022

14th Street South is a north-south street in midtown and southside Birmingham. 14th Street begins at the southern end of 14th Street North at the Railroad Reservation and the 14th Street Underpass. From there it sets the western border of Railroad Park, and then continues for sixteen blocks to where it intersects with 17th Street South at the base of Red Mountain. It intersects the UAB campus and Phelan Park.

In the October 2004 update to the City Center Master Plan, 14th Street was identified as a primary connector between the Civil Rights District and UAB, in its proposed "Technology & Cultural District" initiative. The plan called for the enhancement of the street right-of-way as part of a network of "Green Streets" with tree plantings, upgraded sidewalk and crosswalk paving, lighting and signage.

In March 2011 the newly repaved roadway through UAB to Railroad Park was marked with what are called "sharrows", creating shared motor-travel and bicycle lanes to allow for bicycle traffic without giving up travel lanes. Road signage encouraging motorists to "share the road" were also installed.

Notable Locations (north to south)

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 14th Street South category.
  • 10th Avenue South intersects
    • East side
      • 1001-1033: Blount Hall (built 2001)
        • 1005: former location of an apartment building (1970)
        • 1011: former location of an apartment building (1970)
        • 1015: former location of an apartment building (1970)
    • West side

References