Difference between revisions of "19th Street North"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(3rd Avenue North intersection)
 
Line 22: Line 22:
 
* west side:
 
* west side:
 
** 2-6: former location of wholesale grocer (1891)
 
** 2-6: former location of wholesale grocer (1891)
** 8-20: former location of the [[Chalifoux Building]] (built 1893, demolished 1907)
+
** 12½: former location of [[Alabama Paper & Painting Co.]] (1907)
 +
** 14-20: former location of the [[Chalifoux Building]] (built 1893, demolished 1907)
 
* east side:
 
* east side:
 
** 7-21: [[Allright Parking Systems]] parking deck, former location of [[Morris Block]] (built 1891, demolished 1958)
 
** 7-21: [[Allright Parking Systems]] parking deck, former location of [[Morris Block]] (built 1891, demolished 1958)
Line 32: Line 33:
 
* former downtown terminus of the [[Highland Avenue Railroad]]
 
* former downtown terminus of the [[Highland Avenue Railroad]]
 
* west side ([[Block 98]]):
 
* west side ([[Block 98]]):
** 100-110: former site of [[O'Brien Opera House]], [[Moore-Henley Retail Block]], expanded location of [[Sokol's]] department store
+
** 100-110: former site of [[O'Brien's Opera House]] (built 1882, demolished 1915), [[Moore-Henley Retail Block]] (built 1915, demolished 1990s), expanded location of [[Sokol's]]  
 +
department store
 
*** 100-106: former location of clothing store (1891)
 
*** 100-106: former location of clothing store (1891)
*** 102-104: former location of [[Soul Train of New York]] clothing (1982)
+
**** 100: former location of [[Gus Jebeles]] cigar store (1907)
*** 106: former location of [[DuMont & Knox]] insurance / [[Howell, Randolph & Howell]] real estate (1887), [[Riverside Cafe]] (1909)
+
**** 102-104: former location of [[Soul Train of New York]] clothing (1982)
*** 108: former location of [[Bessemer Land & Improvement Co.]] / [[H. F. DeBardeleben]] real estate (1887), barber (1891), [[John Balabanos]] / [[Paul Lekas]] (1907)
+
**** 106: former location of [[DuMont & Knox]] insurance / [[Howell, Randolph & Howell]] real estate (1887), [[Riverside Cafe]] (1909)
*** 110: former location of [[J. W. Gasser]] restaurant & bakery (1887), delivery service (1891), [[Hick's Booterie]]
+
*** 108: former location of [[Bessemer Land & Improvement Co.]] / [[H. F. DeBardeleben]] real estate (1887), barber (1891), [[John Balabanos]] / [[Paul Lekas]] (1907), [[Peter Govatos]] (1907)
** 112-114: former location of [[E. Erswell Furniture]] / [[Erswell's Hall]] (1887-1899)
+
*** 110: former location of [[J. W. Gasser]] restaurant & bakery (1887), delivery service (1891), [[Henry Saupe]] (1907), [[Hick's Booterie]]
*** 112: former location of [[E. Erswell]] undertaker (1887-1891), [[Changes Boutique]] clothing shop (1970s)
+
** 112–116: former location of [[St Nicholas Hotel]] (1907)
*** 114: former location of [[New Home]] (1887), liquor store (1891), [[Paul Gilardoni]] restaurant (1897)
+
*** 112-114: former location of [[E. Erswell Furniture]] / [[Erswell's Hall]] (1887-1899)
** 116: former location of [[L. E. Williamson]] millinery & fancy goods (1887), saloon / business college (1891)
+
**** 112: former location of [[E. Erswell]] undertaker (1887-1891), [[Changes Boutique]] clothing shop (1970s)
** 118: former location of [[Joe Frank Liquor]] (1887), vacant store (1891)
+
**** 114: former location of [[New Home]] (1887), liquor store (1891), [[Paul Gilardoni]] restaurant (1897)
*** 118½: former location of [[J. R. Brewer & Co.]] real estate (1887), [[Molton & Stickney]] (1897)
+
*** 116: former location of [[L. E. Williamson]] millinery & fancy goods (1887), saloon / business college (1891)
** 120-130: former location of dry goods store (1891)
+
** 118–130: former location of [[Pizitz|Louis Pizitz Dry Goods Company]] (1907)
** 130: former location of ''[[Birmingham Iron Age]]'' publishing company (1881-1888)
+
*** 118: former location of [[Joe Frank Liquor]] (1887), vacant store (1891)
 +
**** 118½: former location of [[J. R. Brewer & Co.]] real estate (1887), [[Molton & Stickney]] (1897), [[E. N. Lyde]] (1907)
 +
*** 120-130: former location of dry goods store (1891)
 +
*** 130: former location of ''[[Birmingham Iron Age]]'' publishing company (1881-1888)
  
 
* east side ([[Block 99]]):
 
* east side ([[Block 99]]):
Line 59: Line 64:
 
** 113-115: former location of [[Herman Hersfeld]] (1887), furniture store (1891)
 
** 113-115: former location of [[Herman Hersfeld]] (1887), furniture store (1891)
 
*** 113: former location of [[Epp's Jewelry Co.]]
 
*** 113: former location of [[Epp's Jewelry Co.]]
** 117: former location of vacant store (1891), [[Taccone's Barber Shop|Taccone's Barber Shop & Bath House]] (1893)
+
*** 115: former location of [[J & L Slaughter]] (1907)
 +
** 117: former location of vacant store (1891), [[Taccone's Barber Shop|Taccone's Barber Shop & Bath House]] (1893), [[Jobe-Rose Jewelry Co.]] (1907)
 +
*** 117½: former location of [[London Loan & Trust Co.]] / [[J. W. Barclay]] / [[New York Dental Co.]] / [[Sandefur & McDaniel]] / [[Rittenberry & Rittenberry]] / [[Ed. T. Glass]] / [[N. C. Glass]] / [[H. T. Morton]] (1907)
 
** 119-131: former location of the [[Terry Building]] (built 1881, demolished 1987), [[Birmingham Telephone Exchange]] (1882-), [[Hughes Drug Store]]
 
** 119-131: former location of the [[Terry Building]] (built 1881, demolished 1987), [[Birmingham Telephone Exchange]] (1882-), [[Hughes Drug Store]]
 
*** 119: former location of [[George Eustis]] real estate, stock & bond broker (1887), ''[[Alabama Medical Journal]]'' (1887), [[Hickok Men's Supplies]] (1939)
 
*** 119: former location of [[George Eustis]] real estate, stock & bond broker (1887), ''[[Alabama Medical Journal]]'' (1887), [[Hickok Men's Supplies]] (1939)
Line 65: Line 72:
 
*** 125: former location of [[Friedman's Jewelers]] (1949)
 
*** 125: former location of [[Friedman's Jewelers]] (1949)
 
*** 133: former location of [[Mehr's Music Store & Novelty Shop]]
 
*** 133: former location of [[Mehr's Music Store & Novelty Shop]]
*** 161: former location of Mrs [[L. E. Williamson]] millinery (1887)
+
*** 161: former location of Mrs [[L. E. Williamson]] millinery (1887), [[Angelo Lafturias]] (1907)
  
 
==== [[2nd Avenue North]] intersection ====
 
==== [[2nd Avenue North]] intersection ====
Line 71: Line 78:
 
* former location of [[WBRC-AM]] radio studios
 
* former location of [[WBRC-AM]] radio studios
 
* former location of [[Weather Forecast Office Birmingham]]
 
* former location of [[Weather Forecast Office Birmingham]]
* former location of [[Pizitz|Louis Pizitz Dry Goods Company]]
 
 
[[File:Birmingham Transit bus.jpg|right|thumb|375px|Birmingham Transit Co. bus on the 200 block of 19th Street North]]
 
[[File:Birmingham Transit bus.jpg|right|thumb|375px|Birmingham Transit Co. bus on the 200 block of 19th Street North]]
 
* west side ([[Block 87]]):
 
* west side ([[Block 87]]):
 
** 200-224: [[McWane Science Center]] (with [[Linear Motion]] on the exterior)
 
** 200-224: [[McWane Science Center]] (with [[Linear Motion]] on the exterior)
 
*** 200-206: former location of [[Florence Hotel]] (-1916), [[Louis Saks Clothiers]] (1916-1920s), [[Melancon's]] (1920s-1936) and [[Newberry's]] (1936-1995)
 
*** 200-206: former location of [[Florence Hotel]] (-1916), [[Louis Saks Clothiers]] (1916-1920s), [[Melancon's]] (1920s-1936) and [[Newberry's]] (1936-1995)
 +
**** 200: former location of [[R. D. Burnett Cigar Co.]] (1907)
 
**** 204: former location of [[Baltimore & Ohio Express Co.]] (1887), book store (1891)
 
**** 204: former location of [[Baltimore & Ohio Express Co.]] (1887), book store (1891)
 
**** 206: former location of [[Hale Associates]] real estate (1887), [[William Snyder & Sons]] mercantile (1888), fruit stand (1891)
 
**** 206: former location of [[Hale Associates]] real estate (1887), [[William Snyder & Sons]] mercantile (1888), fruit stand (1891)
Line 84: Line 91:
 
** [[2nd Alley North]] formerly intersected
 
** [[2nd Alley North]] formerly intersected
 
*** 212-220: former location of [[Loveman's Building]] (built 1935), [[Loveman's]] department store (1935-1980)
 
*** 212-220: former location of [[Loveman's Building]] (built 1935), [[Loveman's]] department store (1935-1980)
*** 212-214: former location of [[Loveman's|Loveman, Joseph & Loeb Department Store]] (built 1890, burned 1935)
+
*** 212-214: former location of [[Loveman's|Loveman, Joseph & Loeb]] department store (built 1890, burned 1935)
 
**** 214½: former location of [[Avondale Land Co.]]  / [[Clifton Land Co.]] / [[South Anniston Land Company]] / [[T. H. Maddox & Son]] architects (1887) / [[J.W. Worthington & Co.]] engineers / [[Birmingham Gas & Electric Light Co.]] (1887)
 
**** 214½: former location of [[Avondale Land Co.]]  / [[Clifton Land Co.]] / [[South Anniston Land Company]] / [[T. H. Maddox & Son]] architects (1887) / [[J.W. Worthington & Co.]] engineers / [[Birmingham Gas & Electric Light Co.]] (1887)
 
*** 216-218: former location of [[Fies & Son]] livery stable (1887)
 
*** 216-218: former location of [[Fies & Son]] livery stable (1887)
Line 97: Line 104:
 
*** 203: former location of [[Holiday Shoes]] (1946-1960s), [[Florsheim Shoe Shop]] (1942)
 
*** 203: former location of [[Holiday Shoes]] (1946-1960s), [[Florsheim Shoe Shop]] (1942)
 
*** 205: former location of [[Evans & Boyd]] real estate (1887)
 
*** 205: former location of [[Evans & Boyd]] real estate (1887)
*** 207: former location of the [[Drs. Washington & Blakely]] (1887), [[Alabama Club]] (1902)
+
*** 207: former location of the [[Washington & Blakely]] physicians (1887), [[Alabama Club]] (1902)
 
**** 207½: former site of the [[Klothes Shoppe]]
 
**** 207½: former site of the [[Klothes Shoppe]]
*** 209: former location of [[B.F. Thayer]] Bookseller (1887), [[Jacobs' Pharmacy]]
+
*** 209: former location of [[B. F. Thayer]] Bookseller (1887), [[Jacobs' Pharmacy]] (1907)
 +
**** 209½: former location of [[E. H. Sholl]] / [[B. A. Fox]] / [[F. G. Grace]] / [[M. A. Copeland]] (1907)
 
** 211: [[211 Building]], former location of clothier (1891), [[Amuse-U Theater]], [[Chalifoux-LaPointe Music Company]], [[Baker's]] shoe store (1976)
 
** 211: [[211 Building]], former location of clothier (1891), [[Amuse-U Theater]], [[Chalifoux-LaPointe Music Company]], [[Baker's]] shoe store (1976)
 
* [[2nd Alley North]] intersects
 
* [[2nd Alley North]] intersects
 
** 213-215: [[Taylor Lofts]], former location of [[Paul's Café]] / [[Paul Gilardoni]] (1904-1910), [[Hirsch's]] ladies' hats (1924), [[Three Sisters (shop)|Three Sisters]] (1950s), [[Gussini Shoes]] (1985-)
 
** 213-215: [[Taylor Lofts]], former location of [[Paul's Café]] / [[Paul Gilardoni]] (1904-1910), [[Hirsch's]] ladies' hats (1924), [[Three Sisters (shop)|Three Sisters]] (1950s), [[Gussini Shoes]] (1985-)
*** 213: former location of drug store (1891)
+
*** 213: former location of drug store (1891), [[M. L. Satterfield & Co.]] / [[P. L. Houppert]] (1907)
**** 213½: former location of [[Castle Hall]] / [[Knights of Pythias]] / [[Young Men's Hebrew Association]] (1899)
+
**** 213½: former location of [[Castle Hall]] / [[Knights of Pythias]] / [[Young Men's Hebrew Association]] (1899), [[Alabama Loan & Employment Bureau]] / [[Joseph Sepsalon]] / [[Eagles' Lodge]] (1907)
*** 215: former location of [[Hatter & Morris]] Restaurant (1887),  [[A. C. Reckling]] saddler (sign of black horse), millinery shop (1891)
+
*** 215: former location of [[Hatter & Morris]] Restaurant (1887),  [[A. C. Reckling]] saddler (sign of black horse), millinery shop (1891), [[T. L. Hobart]] (1907)
 
** 217-225: [[California Fashion Mall]] (built 1939), former location [[Simon Block]] (built 1886, demolished 1938), [[F. W. Woolworth]] (1939–1988)
 
** 217-225: [[California Fashion Mall]] (built 1939), former location [[Simon Block]] (built 1886, demolished 1938), [[F. W. Woolworth]] (1939–1988)
*** 217: former location of clothier (1891), [[D. B. Luster]] shoe store (1899)
+
*** 217: former location of clothier (1891), [[D. B. Luster]] shoe store (1899–1907)
*** 219: former location of [[Otto Seemann & Bro.]] fish seller (1888), clothier (1891), [[The French Bootery]] ladies' shoes (1925), [[Woolworth's]] (1957)
+
*** 219: former location of [[Otto Seemann & Bro.]] fish seller (1888), clothier (1891), [[R. J. Keife]] (1907), [[The French Bootery]] ladies' shoes (1925), [[Woolworth's]] (1957)
*** 221: former location of [[Paris & Govatos]] restaurant (1904), [[George Peppas]] (1907), [[Kanakas & Regas]] restaurant (1910), [[Little Gem Café]] (1920)
+
*** 221: former location of [[Paris & Govatos]] restaurant (1904), [[George Peppas]] / [[Goodyear Rain Coat Co.]] (1907), [[Kanakas & Regas]] restaurant (1910), [[Little Gem Café]] (1920)
**** 221½: former location of [[Dr Sims]] specialist
+
**** 221½: entrance to Simon Block
*** 223-225: former location of [[E. I. Simon & Bro.]] saloon (1904)
+
*** 223-225: former location of [[E. I. Simon & Bro.]] saloon (1891–1907)
 
**** 223: former location of saloon (1891), [[K. D. Likis]] (1907)
 
**** 223: former location of saloon (1891), [[K. D. Likis]] (1907)
 
**** 225: former location of bank (1891)
 
**** 225: former location of bank (1891)

Latest revision as of 12:58, 23 May 2020

19th Street North is one of the primary north-south streets in downtown Birmingham's business district.

19th Street begins at the northern end of 19th Street South, in a tunnel underneath the railroad tracks of the Railroad Reservation. From there it first crosses Morris Avenue and continues north all the way to 16th Avenue North. There are additional sections of the street in North Birmingham from 21st to 37th Avenue North.

The street serves as the eastern boundary of Birmingham's Civil Rights District between 3rd and 8th Avenue North. It also serves as the border of the Fountain Heights and Central City neighborhoods south of 9th Avenue North and Fountain Heights and Druid Hills north of 9th Avenue.

A 1907 train accident occurred at the intersection of 19th Street and 9th Avenue North. A notable early balloon ascent took place near the intersection with 1st Avenue North in 1891. The street is included on the route of the annual Veterans Day parade.

19th Street was one of the city's earlier "whiteways" to have electric lighting. The lighting was upgraded and extended past 6th Avenue as far as 8th Avenue North in 1945 under the city's contract with the Birmingham Electric Company.

In 1981-1982 major landscaping was done to the first few blocks to designs by architect Pedro Costa. The intent was to create a pedestrian-friendly boulevard to help revitalize languishing commercial activity along the street, but the extended construction period had the unintended effect of further harming business traffic. In 1985 Operation New Birmingham formed a "19th Street Taskforce" to identify specific improvements that could be made to mitigate the problem. Students from Auburn University's landscape architecture and planning programs participated in design charettes to sketch out proposals.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 19th Street North category.

Fountain Heights/Central City neighborhood

Morris Avenue intersection

1st Avenue North (U. S. Highway 11) intersection

department store

2nd Avenue North intersection

Birmingham Transit Co. bus on the 200 block of 19th Street North

3rd Avenue North intersection

4th Avenue North intersection

1979 photo of Block 61, looking southwest from the corner of 5th Avenue North and 19th Street

5th Avenue North intersection

6th Avenue North intersection

Park Place intersection (east only)

7th Avenue North intersection (west only)

Reverend Abraham Woods, Jr Boulevard intersection

View north on 19th Street from 8th Avenue North in 1892. Mayor A. O. Lane's residence on the left.

Passes under Interstate 20/Interstate 59

Fountain Heights/Druid Hills

North Birmingham