Difference between revisions of "20th Street North"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(3rd Avenue North)
Line 219: Line 219:
 
***** 306 lobby: former location of [[C. J. McLendon]] attorney / [[G. D. Orr]] barber / [[United Hosiery]] (1922)
 
***** 306 lobby: former location of [[C. J. McLendon]] attorney / [[G. D. Orr]] barber / [[United Hosiery]] (1922)
 
*** 308: former location of vacant store (1891), [[Wright & Owens]] plumbers (1899), [[Chicago Restaurant]] (1904), [[Lawson Reid]] jeweler (1922-1926) [[Arnold Clothing Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Jarman Shoes]], [[Sommer Co.]] tailor
 
*** 308: former location of vacant store (1891), [[Wright & Owens]] plumbers (1899), [[Chicago Restaurant]] (1904), [[Lawson Reid]] jeweler (1922-1926) [[Arnold Clothing Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Jarman Shoes]], [[Sommer Co.]] tailor
**** 308½: former location of [[William Stadelmann]] furnished rooms (1905), [[W. R. Venable]] / [[R. J. Seaton]] / [[Service Dry Cleaning Co.]] (1922), [[Sommer Co.]]/[[C. F. Shelton]]/[[W. R. Venable]] (1926)
+
**** 308½: former location of [[William Stadelmann]] furnished rooms (1905), [[Toledo Hotel]] (1908), [[W. R. Venable]] / [[R. J. Seaton]] / [[Service Dry Cleaning Co.]] (1922), [[Sommer Co.]]/[[C. F. Shelton]]/[[W. R. Venable]] (1926)
 
*** 310: former location of undertaker (1891), [[D. Bernhard & Co.]] fish & oysters (1899), [[D. M. Williams]] saloon (1904), [[Wilson & Hoffman]] saloon (1905), [[Venables' Cafe]] (1920), [[Armstrong Hat Co.]] (1922-1926), [[Shyer's Jewelry]] (c. 1929), [[Dewberry Engraving]] (1931), [[Presto Cafe & Barbecue]] (c. 1934)
 
*** 310: former location of undertaker (1891), [[D. Bernhard & Co.]] fish & oysters (1899), [[D. M. Williams]] saloon (1904), [[Wilson & Hoffman]] saloon (1905), [[Venables' Cafe]] (1920), [[Armstrong Hat Co.]] (1922-1926), [[Shyer's Jewelry]] (c. 1929), [[Dewberry Engraving]] (1931), [[Presto Cafe & Barbecue]] (c. 1934)
 
* [[3rd Alley North]] intersects
 
* [[3rd Alley North]] intersects
 
** 312-314: [[FedEx Office]]
 
** 312-314: [[FedEx Office]]
*** 312: former location of [[Sam Harris]] paint & wallpaper (1888-1891), private infirmary (2nd & 3rd floor, 1891) [[Warner-Smiley Company]] undertakers (1896-1905), [[E. T. Shaw & Son]] undertakers (1904-1905), [[Harrison Mutual Burial Association]]  (1905), [[Hooper Cafe]] (1920-1922), [[Lynch Jewelry Co.]] (1926), [[Lasso's Kiddie Klothes]] (1955), [[Christian Science Reading Room]] (1964)
+
*** 312: former location of [[Sam Harris]] paint & wallpaper (1888-1891), private infirmary (2nd & 3rd floor, 1891) [[Warner-Smiley Company]] undertakers (1896-1905), [[E. T. Shaw & Son]] undertakers (1904-1908), [[Harrison Mutual Burial Association]]  (1905-1908), [[Hooper Cafe]] (1920-1922), [[Lynch Jewelry Co.]] (1926), [[Lasso's Kiddie Klothes]] (1955), [[Christian Science Reading Room]] (1964)
**** 312½: former location of [[Tate Loan Co.]] (1899), [[J. R. Hopkins]] loans (1905), [[Hilton Studio]] / [[Eugene Beauty Shoppe]] (1926), [[Irvin Payne Jr]] music teacher, [[Ned Green Sign Co.]], [[Glamor Life]] mail order house
+
**** 312½: former location of [[Tate Loan Co.]] (1899), [[J. R. Hopkins]] loans (1905), [[Gates Brokerage Co.]] (1908), [[Hilton Studio]] / [[Eugene Beauty Shoppe]] (1926), [[Irvin Payne Jr]] music teacher, [[Ned Green Sign Co.]], [[Glamor Life]] mail order house
*** 314: former location of [[G.W. Ponder]] hides (1887), [[E. Wagner]] fruit and produce (1888), fish & oysters (1891), [[Broom Fish Co.]] (1899), [[Birmingham Fish Co.]] (1905), [[Hooper's Cafe]] (1910), [[McCowan Walk-Over Boot Shop]] (1926-1929), [[Lindy Jewelry]], [[Angelo's Italian Restaurant]] (1964)
+
*** 314: former location of [[G.W. Ponder]] hides (1887), [[E. Wagner]] fruit and produce (1888), fish & oysters (1891), [[Broom Fish Co.]] (1899), [[Birmingham Fish Co.]] (1905), [[Hooper's Cafe]] (1908-1910), [[McCowan Walk-Over Boot Shop]] (1926-1929), [[Lindy Jewelry]], [[Angelo's Italian Restaurant]] (1964)
 
**** 314½: former location of Mrs [[E. D. Pool]] dress maker (1887), [[Greek American Social Club]]
 
**** 314½: former location of Mrs [[E. D. Pool]] dress maker (1887), [[Greek American Social Club]]
 
** 316-318: former location of [[T. D. Howland]] livery stable (1887), [[Warner Smiley & Co.]] livery stable (1891), [[J. C. Prive]] livery stable (1899), [[Alabama Supply Co.]] (1905)
 
** 316-318: former location of [[T. D. Howland]] livery stable (1887), [[Warner Smiley & Co.]] livery stable (1891), [[J. C. Prive]] livery stable (1899), [[Alabama Supply Co.]] (1905)
*** 316: former location of [[Empire Clothing Co.]] (1922-1929) [[Odom Clothing Co.]] (1960-1964)
+
*** 316: former location of [[Reynolds & White]] (1908), [[Empire Clothing Co.]] (1922-1929) [[Odom Clothing Co.]] (1960-1964)
 
**** 316½: former location of [[Southern Hotel]] entrance (1905-1926)
 
**** 316½: former location of [[Southern Hotel]] entrance (1905-1926)
*** 318: former location of [[G. Nichols]] restaurant / confectioner (1897-1899), [[Griffith & Shlegel]] photography supply (1914), [[Farmer-Cannon Jewelry Co.]] (1922-1942), [[Tooley-Myron Studios]] photographers (1947)
+
*** 318: former location of [[G. Nichols]] restaurant / confectioner (1897-1899), [[H. F. Reeves & Co.]] / [[Gatchel's Photo Stock House]] (1908), [[Griffith & Shlegel]] photography supply (1914), [[Farmer-Cannon Jewelry Co.]] (1922-1942), [[Tooley-Myron Studios]] photographers (1947)
**** 318½: former location of [[J. George Huber]] painter (1887)
+
**** 318½: former location of [[J. George Huber]] painter (1887), [[J. C. Walker]] / [[R. C. Evans]] (1908)
 
*** 320-322: parking lot, former location of the [[Milner Building]]
 
*** 320-322: parking lot, former location of the [[Milner Building]]
 
**** 320: former location of fruit stand (1891), [[Birmingham Fish Co.]] (1899), [[H. F. Reeves & Co.]] jewelers & opticians (1905), [[Glover & Kincaid]] barbers (1922-1926), [[Marchel Jewelry Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Louis W. Perry Jewelry Co.]] (1948), vacant (1964)
 
**** 320: former location of fruit stand (1891), [[Birmingham Fish Co.]] (1899), [[H. F. Reeves & Co.]] jewelers & opticians (1905), [[Glover & Kincaid]] barbers (1922-1926), [[Marchel Jewelry Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Louis W. Perry Jewelry Co.]] (1948), vacant (1964)
 
***** 320½: former location of [[Linville House]] (1899) / [[Massey Business College]] (1899), [[Edwards-Reagor Loan & Investment Co.]] (1905), [[Southern Hotel]] (1926-1964)  
 
***** 320½: former location of [[Linville House]] (1899) / [[Massey Business College]] (1899), [[Edwards-Reagor Loan & Investment Co.]] (1905), [[Southern Hotel]] (1926-1964)  
**** 322: former location of drug store (1891), [[G. Papageorge]] confectioner (1899), [[Sim Cheek Drug Co.]] / [[Simmons Cheek|Simmons L. Cheek]] (1905), [[Norton's Drug Store]] (1922-1926), [[Norton's Barber Shop]] (c. 1929), [[Lane's Drug Store]], [[Hardy Shoe Store]]
+
**** 322: former location of drug store (1891), [[G. Papageorge]] confectioner (1899), [[Sim Cheek Drug Co.]] / [[Simmons Cheek|Simmons L. Cheek]] (1905), [[Houseman's Pharmacy]] (1908), [[Norton's Drug Store]] (1922-1926), [[Norton's Barber Shop]] (c. 1929), [[Lane's Drug Store]], [[Hardy Shoe Store]]
  
 
* east side ([[Block 74]]):
 
* east side ([[Block 74]]):
Line 242: Line 242:
 
*** 303: former location of vacant store (1891), [[Birmingham Railway & Electric Co.]] / [[East Lake Land Co.]] / [[T. T. Hillman]] (1899), [[Easonville Creamery]] (1904-1910), [[Realty Mortgage Co.]] (1922), [[Regal Shoes]], [[Glenn Batteiger]] optometrist (1930s), [[L&N Railroad]] ticket office (1940s), [[Lollar's Cameras]] (1964)
 
*** 303: former location of vacant store (1891), [[Birmingham Railway & Electric Co.]] / [[East Lake Land Co.]] / [[T. T. Hillman]] (1899), [[Easonville Creamery]] (1904-1910), [[Realty Mortgage Co.]] (1922), [[Regal Shoes]], [[Glenn Batteiger]] optometrist (1930s), [[L&N Railroad]] ticket office (1940s), [[Lollar's Cameras]] (1964)
 
** 305: former location of [[Wilkerson & Stone]] pharmacy (1888), "notions" (1891), [[J. F. Ehrhart]] harness & saddle maker / [[Alabama Dye Works]] (1899), [[Federal Clothing Store]] (1922), [[Dailey's]] (1926), [[Wells Clothing Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Blackburn's Fabrics]] (1964)
 
** 305: former location of [[Wilkerson & Stone]] pharmacy (1888), "notions" (1891), [[J. F. Ehrhart]] harness & saddle maker / [[Alabama Dye Works]] (1899), [[Federal Clothing Store]] (1922), [[Dailey's]] (1926), [[Wells Clothing Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Blackburn's Fabrics]] (1964)
** 307: former location of hardware store (1891), [[Singer Manufacturing Co.]] (1899-1905), [[George K. Headley Candy Co.]] (1922), [[Martha Washington Candy Co.]] (1922-1929), [[Casino Restaurant]] (1935-1945), [[Blackburn's Fabrics]] (1964)
+
** 307: former location of hardware store (1891), [[Singer Manufacturing Co.]] (1899-1905), [[Marvel Theatre]] (1908), [[George K. Headley Candy Co.]] (1922), [[Martha Washington Candy Co.]] (1922-1929), [[Casino Restaurant]] (1935-1945), [[Blackburn's Fabrics]] (1964)
 
*** 307½: former location of [[U.S. Hotel]] (1920-1922), [[Hotel Marion]] (1926)
 
*** 307½: former location of [[U.S. Hotel]] (1920-1922), [[Hotel Marion]] (1926)
** 309-311: former location of furniture store (1891), [[Christian Enslen]] grocer (1899), [[Clarke Bros]] grocers (1905), [[Britling Cafeteria|Britling Cafeteria No. 2]] (1922-1960s)
+
** 309-311: former location of furniture store (1891), [[Christian Enslen]] grocer (1899), [[Clarke Bros]] grocers (1905-1908), [[Britling Cafeteria|Britling Cafeteria No. 2]] (1922-1960s)
** 309½: former location of [[Kate Marshall]] furnished rooms / Mrs [[S. J. Brannon]] boarding house (1899), [[Marshall House]] (1905), [[Britling Cafeteria|Britling Cafeteria Co. Inc.]] offices (1964)
+
** 309½: former location of [[Kate Marshall]] furnished rooms / Mrs [[S. J. Brannon]] boarding house (1899), [[Marshall House]] (1905-1908), [[Britling Cafeteria|Britling Cafeteria Co. Inc.]] offices (1964)
 
* [[3rd Alley North]] intersects
 
* [[3rd Alley North]] intersects
 
** 313: [[Roly Poly]] sandwich shop, former location of [[W. D. Cline]] upholsterer (1887), [[Thomas G. Simpson & Co.]], [[B. D. Whilden]] flour, grain and hay (1888), ice depot (1891), [[B. F. Barbour]] plumber / [[Charles Macher]] shoemaker (1899), [[Ovens & Tice]] saloon (1904), [[Charles Macher]] / [[Kentucky Liquor Co.]] (1905), [[Faulkner Novelty Co.]] (1922), [[Royal Clothing Co.]] (1926-1929), [[Alabama Heating & Roofing]] and the [[Gaslight Theatre]]
 
** 313: [[Roly Poly]] sandwich shop, former location of [[W. D. Cline]] upholsterer (1887), [[Thomas G. Simpson & Co.]], [[B. D. Whilden]] flour, grain and hay (1888), ice depot (1891), [[B. F. Barbour]] plumber / [[Charles Macher]] shoemaker (1899), [[Ovens & Tice]] saloon (1904), [[Charles Macher]] / [[Kentucky Liquor Co.]] (1905), [[Faulkner Novelty Co.]] (1922), [[Royal Clothing Co.]] (1926-1929), [[Alabama Heating & Roofing]] and the [[Gaslight Theatre]]
 
** 313½: former location of [[J. F. Knox]] photography studio
 
** 313½: former location of [[J. F. Knox]] photography studio
 
** 315: former location of [[Charley Lee]] laundry (1891-1899), [[Alabama Steam Dye Works]] / [[J. F. Earhart]] (1905) [[Wells' Quality Shop]] (1922), [[Allen's Silk Shop]] (1926), [[Eleanor's Cards]]
 
** 315: former location of [[Charley Lee]] laundry (1891-1899), [[Alabama Steam Dye Works]] / [[J. F. Earhart]] (1905) [[Wells' Quality Shop]] (1922), [[Allen's Silk Shop]] (1926), [[Eleanor's Cards]]
*** 315½: former location of [[James M. Russell]] attorney (1887), [[Madam Emma Osborn]] (1899), [[A. Pappageorge]] (1905), [[Birmingham View Co.]] (1920), [[J. F. Knox]] photographer (1922)
+
*** 315½: former location of [[James M. Russell]] attorney (1887), [[Madam Emma Osborn]] (1899), [[A. Pappageorge]] (1905), [[American Mutual Aid Association]] (1908), [[Birmingham View Co.]] (1920), [[J. F. Knox]] photographer (1922)
 
** 317-319: former location of [[Augusta Friedman Shop]] (1925-1926)
 
** 317-319: former location of [[Augusta Friedman Shop]] (1925-1926)
 
*** 317: [[The Post]] office building (built 1964), former location of produce store (1891), [[Birmingham Trunk Factory]] (1899), [[Henry Siegel]] meats (1905), [[R. A. Wilson]] restaurant (1910), the [[Southern Hotel]] (1920), [[Greenwood Cafe|Greenwood Cafe No.1]] (1920-1922), [[Birmingham Gas Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Exchange Security Bank]] (1964), [[Birmingham Green Postal Station]] (-2003)
 
*** 317: [[The Post]] office building (built 1964), former location of produce store (1891), [[Birmingham Trunk Factory]] (1899), [[Henry Siegel]] meats (1905), [[R. A. Wilson]] restaurant (1910), the [[Southern Hotel]] (1920), [[Greenwood Cafe|Greenwood Cafe No.1]] (1920-1922), [[Birmingham Gas Co.]] (c. 1929), [[Exchange Security Bank]] (1964), [[Birmingham Green Postal Station]] (-2003)
**** 317½: former location of [[S. S. H. Washington]] / [[Ulysses Mason]] physician / [[A. L. Hill]] dentist / [[J. N. Byrd]] photographer (1899), [[Southern Employment Bureau]] / [[H. Crookshank]] / [[Union Mutual Aid Association]] / [[Byrd & McCaw]] / [[J. H. Rabb]] (1905), [[Exchange Security Bank]], [[Lange, Simpson, Robinson & Somerville]] attorneys, [[Wilson's Studio]] (1920-1922), [[J. M. Morton]] broker / [[Birmingham View Co.]] (1922)
+
**** 317½: former location of [[S. S. H. Washington]] / [[Ulysses Mason]] physician / [[A. L. Hill]] dentist / [[J. N. Byrd]] photographer (1899), [[Byrd & McCaw]] (1905), [[Southern Employment Bureau]] / / [[Union Mutual Aid Association]] / [[J. H. Rabb]] (1905-1908), [[Exchange Security Bank]], [[Lange, Simpson, Robinson & Somerville]] attorneys, [[Wilson's Studio]] (1920-1922), [[J. M. Morton]] broker / [[Birmingham View Co.]] (1922)
*** 319: former location of [[Hurt & Tillman Grocery]] (1887), furniture store (1891), [[Alabama Penny Savings & Loan Co.]] (1899), [[E. A. Brown]] (1905), [[A. K. L. Lambly]] florist (1922), [[Wheeler's Cantilever Shoe Store]] (1926-1929), [[Traylor Optical Co.]] (1931), [[Traylor Optical Co.]] (1949), [[Royal Hatters]] (1964)
+
*** 319: former location of [[Hurt & Tillman Grocery]] (1887), furniture store (1891), [[Alabama Penny Savings & Loan Co.]] (1899), [[E. A. Brown]] (1905), [[C. D. Kenny Co.]] (1908), [[A. K. L. Lambly]] florist (1922), [[Wheeler's Cantilever Shoe Store]] (1926-1929), [[Traylor Optical Co.]] (1931), [[Traylor Optical Co.]] (1949), [[Royal Hatters]] (1964)
 
** 321-323: former location of [[Phoenix Club Building]] (1891), dry goods (1891), [[Biddle-Warren Cycle Co.]] (1899), [[Anthony Dietlein]] grocer (1905)
 
** 321-323: former location of [[Phoenix Club Building]] (1891), dry goods (1891), [[Biddle-Warren Cycle Co.]] (1899), [[Anthony Dietlein]] grocer (1905)
*** 321: [[The Craft Burger]] (2018-), former location of [[F & H Clothes Shop]] (1922), [[Trivers Clothes]] (1926), [[Bolber Clothing]] (c. 1929), [[E. I. DuPont de Nemours & Co.]] (c. 1934), [[Taylor Optical Co.]], [[Robino News Co.]] (1964), [[Roly Poly]], [[Java & Jams]] (2007-2010), [[Razzleberries]] (2010-2011), [[Brava Rotisserie Grill]] (2015-2018)
+
*** 321: [[The Craft Burger]] (2018-), former location of [[Elite Theatre]] (1908), [[F & H Clothes Shop]] (1922), [[Trivers Clothes]] (1926), [[Bolber Clothing]] (c. 1929), [[E. I. DuPont de Nemours & Co.]] (c. 1934), [[Taylor Optical Co.]], [[Robino News Co.]] (1964), [[Roly Poly]], [[Java & Jams]] (2007-2010), [[Razzleberries]] (2010-2011), [[Brava Rotisserie Grill]] (2015-2018)
**** 321½: former location of [[Phoenix Club Hall]] (1891), [[Elks Hall]] (1899), [[Knights of Columbus Hall]] / [[J. C. Weissner]] (1905), [[Rex Billiard Parlor]] (1922-1926)
+
**** 321½: former location of [[Phoenix Club Hall]] (1891), [[Elks Hall]] (1899), [[Knights of Columbus Hall]] / [[J. C. Weissner]] (1905-1908), [[Allen & Bell]] (1908), [[Rex Billiard Parlor]] (1922-1926)
*** 323: former location of [[Gilchrist-Tarrant Drug Co.]] (1922) [[Brackin's Inc.]] jewelers (1926-1929), [[Leeds Clothing]] (c. 1929), [[Ford's Clothes]]
+
*** 323: former location of [[Anthony Dietlein]] (1908), [[Gilchrist-Tarrant Drug Co.]] (1922) [[Brackin's Inc.]] jewelers (1926-1929), [[Leeds Clothing]] (c. 1929), [[Ford's Clothes]]
 
** 325: former location of [[Frew & Milligan]] (1926), [[Busch's|Busch Jewelry Co.]] (1964), [[McDonald's]], [[Salsa and Sabor]], [[El Mexicano]], [[Bayou Deli]], [[Jimmy John's]] (closed February 2019)
 
** 325: former location of [[Frew & Milligan]] (1926), [[Busch's|Busch Jewelry Co.]] (1964), [[McDonald's]], [[Salsa and Sabor]], [[El Mexicano]], [[Bayou Deli]], [[Jimmy John's]] (closed February 2019)
 
** 325½: former location of [[H & S Optical Co.]]
 
** 325½: former location of [[H & S Optical Co.]]
Line 280: Line 280:
 
** 412-424: [[Wells Fargo Tower]] (built 1986 as [[Wells Fargo Tower|SouthTrust Tower]], later [[Wells Fargo Tower|Wachovia Tower]]), offices of [[Wells Fargo Bank]]. [[Maki Fresh]] on ground floor
 
** 412-424: [[Wells Fargo Tower]] (built 1986 as [[Wells Fargo Tower|SouthTrust Tower]], later [[Wells Fargo Tower|Wachovia Tower]]), offices of [[Wells Fargo Bank]]. [[Maki Fresh]] on ground floor
 
*** 412-414: former location of [[A. Gibson]] veterinary surgeon and horse shoer (1899), [[Joy Young Restaurant]] (1919-1980), [[Nelson's]] restaurant (March 1981-March 1982)
 
*** 412-414: former location of [[A. Gibson]] veterinary surgeon and horse shoer (1899), [[Joy Young Restaurant]] (1919-1980), [[Nelson's]] restaurant (March 1981-March 1982)
 +
**** 412: former location of [[Fowlkes & Myatt Co.]] (1908)
 
*** 416-424: former location of [[Williams-Henley building]] (demolished c. 1983)
 
*** 416-424: former location of [[Williams-Henley building]] (demolished c. 1983)
**** 416: former location of [[Reese's Art Cleaning & Dyeing]] (1922), [[Peerless Cleaners]] (c. 1929-1931), [[G. A. C. Finance Corp.]] (1964), [[Sara's]] (-1983)
+
**** 416: former location of [[Loring Bros.]] / [[J. P. Walker]] / [[J. B. Hill]] (1908), [[Reese's Art Cleaning & Dyeing]] (1922), [[Peerless Cleaners]] (c. 1929-1931), [[G. A. C. Finance Corp.]] (1964), [[Sara's]] (-1983)
 
**** 418: former location of [[Goodyear Shoe Hospital]] (1922-1983)
 
**** 418: former location of [[Goodyear Shoe Hospital]] (1922-1983)
**** 420: former location of [[Coovalis & Dozas]] restaurant (1922), [[Dixie Water Garden]] (c. 1929), loan office (1931), [[People's Finance & Thrift Co.]] (c. 1940), [[Utopia Cleaners]] (c. 1964-1983)
+
**** 420: former location of [[C. N. Boyd]] (1908), [[Coovalis & Dozas]] restaurant (1922), [[Dixie Water Garden]] (c. 1929), loan office (1931), [[People's Finance & Thrift Co.]] (c. 1940), [[Utopia Cleaners]] (c. 1964-1983)
**** 422: former location of [[Laura Hubbard]] boarding house (1899), [[William Bosboras]] fruit stand (1922), [[New Hat Cleaning Co.]] (c. 1929) [[Carr Floral Company]] (1930s-1964), [[Instant Copies II]] (1982)
+
**** 422: former location of [[Laura Hubbard]] boarding house (1899), [[Lula Jones]] (1908), [[William Bosboras]] fruit stand (1922), [[New Hat Cleaning Co.]] (c. 1929) [[Carr Floral Company]] (1930s-1964), [[Instant Copies II]] (1982)
 
**** 424: former location of [[Gibbs-Fort Drug Co.]] (1922-1926), shooting gallery (1931), former location of [[Florsheim Shoes]] (1945), [[Krystal]] hamburgers (1964-), [[Jefferson Federal Savings & Loan]] branch (-1983)
 
**** 424: former location of [[Gibbs-Fort Drug Co.]] (1922-1926), shooting gallery (1931), former location of [[Florsheim Shoes]] (1945), [[Krystal]] hamburgers (1964-), [[Jefferson Federal Savings & Loan]] branch (-1983)
 
* East side ([[Block 59]])
 
* East side ([[Block 59]])
** 401-409: former lcation of [[Atlanta Furniture Co.]] (1899)
+
** 401-409: former location of [[Atlanta Furniture Co.]] (1899)
*** 401-407: [[Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 3]], former location of [[Birmingham Central Market]] (1907-1908)
+
*** 401-407: [[Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 3]], former location of [[Central Market]] (1907-1908)
 
**** 401: former location of [[W. G. Patterson Cigar Store]] (1922-1926), [[Lenak Studios]] (1945-)
 
**** 401: former location of [[W. G. Patterson Cigar Store]] (1922-1926), [[Lenak Studios]] (1945-)
 
***** 401A: former location of [[Nick Vassakis]] shoe polisher (1922)
 
***** 401A: former location of [[Nick Vassakis]] shoe polisher (1922)
Line 297: Line 298:
 
**** 409: former location of [[J. F. Lewis]] restaurant (1904), [[George Cassimus]] fruit stand (1922)
 
**** 409: former location of [[J. F. Lewis]] restaurant (1904), [[George Cassimus]] fruit stand (1922)
 
***** 409½: former location of [[Willie Thomas]] restaurant (1899)
 
***** 409½: former location of [[Willie Thomas]] restaurant (1899)
** 411: former location of [[Hattie Auguste]] (1899)
+
** 411: former location of [[Hattie Auguste]] (1899), [[J. T. Thornton & Co.]] (1908)
 
*** 411½: former location of the ''[[Labor Advocate]]'' newspaper (1920), [[American Legion Birmingham Post No. 1]] (1922)
 
*** 411½: former location of the ''[[Labor Advocate]]'' newspaper (1920), [[American Legion Birmingham Post No. 1]] (1922)
 
** [[4th Alley North]]
 
** [[4th Alley North]]
 
** 413-429:  [[Viva Health building]], formerly [[Regions Plaza]], former location of the [[Tutwiler Hotel (1914)|Tutwiler Hotel]] (built 1914, demolished 1972)
 
** 413-429:  [[Viva Health building]], formerly [[Regions Plaza]], former location of the [[Tutwiler Hotel (1914)|Tutwiler Hotel]] (built 1914, demolished 1972)
*** 413: former location of [[W. J. Marshall & Bro.]] carpentry (1899), [[Tutwiler Coffee Room]] (1922)
+
*** 413: former location of [[W. J. Marshall & Bro.]] carpentry (1899), [[Cincinnati Steam Dye Works]] (1908), [[Tutwiler Coffee Room]] (1922)
 
*** 415: former location of [[Butterfield Fruit & Produce Co.]] (1888-)
 
*** 415: former location of [[Butterfield Fruit & Produce Co.]] (1888-)
*** 419: former location of [[Armstrong Hat Co.]] (1922)
+
*** 417: former location of [[Garrows Candy Co.]] (1908)
*** 421: former location of [[Drum Room]]
+
*** 419: former location of [[Robert Frank]] / [[C. T. Medinger]] / [[T. A. Gabbino]] (1908), [[Armstrong Hat Co.]] (1922)
*** 423: former location of [[Fraser Nursery]]/[[Tutwiler Flower Shop]] (1922), [[Armstrong Clothing Co.]] (1926)
+
*** 421: former location of [[T. B. Furman]] (1908), [[Drum Room]]
*** 425: former location of [[Tutwiler Flower Shop]] (1926)
+
*** 423: former location of [[M. & C. Cigar Co.]] (1908), [[Fraser Nursery]]/[[Tutwiler Flower Shop]] (1922), [[Armstrong Clothing Co.]] (1926)
 +
*** 425: former location of [[P. A. Wilson]] (1908), [[Tutwiler Flower Shop]] (1926)
 
*** 427-429: former location of [[Tutwiler Drug Co.]] (1922)
 
*** 427-429: former location of [[Tutwiler Drug Co.]] (1922)
  
Line 337: Line 339:
 
* West side
 
* West side
 
** 600: [[Family Reserve Insurance building]] (1946), also known as the [[Family Reserve Insurance building|Land Title Building]], former home of the [[Woman's Missionary Union]] (1951-1984). Former site of the [[A. W. Smith residence]]
 
** 600: [[Family Reserve Insurance building]] (1946), also known as the [[Family Reserve Insurance building|Land Title Building]], former home of the [[Woman's Missionary Union]] (1951-1984). Former site of the [[A. W. Smith residence]]
** 604: former location of [[D. C. Donald]]/[[J. A. Ward]]/[[J. D. Heacock]]/[[J. D. Chisholm]] physicians (1922)  
+
** 604: former location of [[A. W. Smith]] (1908), [[D. C. Donald]] / [[J. A. Ward]] / [[J. D. Heacock]] / [[J. D. Chisholm]] physicians (1922)  
 
** 606-608: former offices of [[R. E. Smith]] insurance and realty, [[Roy Smith]], attorney (1964)
 
** 606-608: former offices of [[R. E. Smith]] insurance and realty, [[Roy Smith]], attorney (1964)
 
*** 606: former location of [[North Side Tire Co.]] (1922)
 
*** 606: former location of [[North Side Tire Co.]] (1922)
*** 608: former location of [[A. F. Jackson]] clothes cleaner (1922)
+
*** 608: former location of [[L. R. Brooks]] (1908), [[A. F. Jackson]] clothes cleaner (1922)
 
** 610: former location of [[Dale's Restaurant]] (1964)
 
** 610: former location of [[Dale's Restaurant]] (1964)
 
** 612: former location of [[Walker & Wiggins]] restaurant (1922), [[A. Nash]] tailoring (1923), [[Taylor Real Estate & Insurance Co.]] (1964)
 
** 612: former location of [[Walker & Wiggins]] restaurant (1922), [[A. Nash]] tailoring (1923), [[Taylor Real Estate & Insurance Co.]] (1964)
Line 347: Line 349:
 
* East side
 
* East side
 
** 601: [[Birmingham Board of Education Parking Deck]], former location of [[Forbes Tire Co.]] (1922)
 
** 601: [[Birmingham Board of Education Parking Deck]], former location of [[Forbes Tire Co.]] (1922)
 +
** 605: former location of [[H. L. Reynolds]] (1908)
 +
** 607: former location of Mrs [[C. L. Turner]] (1908)
 
** 615: [[Birmingham Board of Education Building]] (1965), home of the [[Birmingham Board of Education]], (proposed site for an unbuilt [[Westin Grand Bohemian]], 2004)
 
** 615: [[Birmingham Board of Education Building]] (1965), home of the [[Birmingham Board of Education]], (proposed site for an unbuilt [[Westin Grand Bohemian]], 2004)
  
Line 352: Line 356:
 
:20th Street shifts west, becomes known as '''Nina's Way''' (formerly '''Short 20th Street''')
 
:20th Street shifts west, becomes known as '''Nina's Way''' (formerly '''Short 20th Street''')
 
* West side
 
* West side
** 700: [[Birmingham City Hall Parking Deck]]
+
** 700: [[Birmingham City Hall Parking Deck]], former location of [[Lula Hill]] (1908)
 +
** 704: former location of Mrs [[M. E. Kelley]] (1908)
 
** 706: [[C.H. Reed]] florist (1887)
 
** 706: [[C.H. Reed]] florist (1887)
** 710: [[Birmingham City Hall]]
+
** 708: former location of [[Pattie Schooler]] (1908)
 +
** 710: [[Birmingham City Hall]] (built 1951)
 +
** 712: former location of [[Josephine Caldwell]] (1908)
 +
** 716: former location of [[Ina Wilson]] (1908)
 +
** 718: former location of [[Pollock-Stephens Institute]] (1908)
 
** 720: former location of [[YWCA]] (1922)
 
** 720: former location of [[YWCA]] (1922)
 +
** 728: former location of [[Alvin Mills]] (1908)
 +
** 732: former location of [[Gus Colvin]] (1908)
 +
** 738: former location of [[J. J. Garrett]] (1908)
 +
** 746: former location of [[D. B. Anderson]] (1908)
 
* East side
 
* East side
 
** [[Linn Park]] (formerly Central Park, Capitol Park, Woodrow Wilson Park)
 
** [[Linn Park]] (formerly Central Park, Capitol Park, Woodrow Wilson Park)
 
** 721: former location of [[S. A. Weaver]] repair shop (1922)
 
** 721: former location of [[S. A. Weaver]] repair shop (1922)
 +
** 737: former location of [[R. Fortson]] (1908)
 +
** 739: former location of [[J. Wagner]] (1908)
  
 
====[[8th Avenue North]]====
 
====[[8th Avenue North]]====

Revision as of 11:47, 5 October 2019

looking south on 20th Street North in 2002
looking north on 20th Street North from Morris Avenue, c. 1900
looking north on 20th Street North from Morris Avenue, c. 1910-11

20th Street North is a north-south street in the center of downtown Birmingham which functions as Birmingham's "main street". It is sometimes called Birmingham Green after a rehabilitation project of the early 1970s.

20th Street begins at the northern end of 20th Street South at the Railroad Reservation. From there it first crosses Morris Avenue, and then continues for seven blocks to Park Place where it is terminated by Linn Park.

Short 20th Street is the one-block section of 20th Street between Birmingham City Hall and Linn Park. It was named Nina's Way in honor of Nina Miglionico in 2008. Originally 20th street bounded both sides of the park as East 20th Street and West 20th Street, but the east segment was abandoned as part of a compromise over the placement of the original Birmingham Public Library building in the late 1920s.

After this one-block section, Twentieth Street previously resumed its path to the east between the current locations of Municipal Auditorium and the Birmingham Museum of Art to the present site of the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex. After the I-20/59 bridge was built, this section was closed to traffic and eventually converted into a landscaped walk and fountain. There are other short sections of the street in North Birmingham, north of Oak Hill Cemetery and near Finley Boulevard.

20th Street was one of the city's earlier "whiteways" to have electric lighting. The lighting was upgraded and extended past 6th Avenue as far as Woodrow Wilson Park in 1945 under the city's contract with the Birmingham Electric Company.

Birmingham Green

1970 rendering for Birmingham Green

The Birmingham Downtown Improvement Association (BDIA) singled out the beautification of 20th Street as one of its major ambitions when it was formed in 1957. The idea was highlighted in Operation New Birmingham's 1960 recommendations for a "Comprehensive Beautification Program" and reiterated in the 1965 "Design for Progress".

As part of the campaign, Mrs. C. I. Dreyfus of the Birmingham Beautification Board proposed renaming 20th Street to "Vulcan Boulevard". The idea was taken up by businessman Temple Tutwiler, who touted the proposal as late as 1973.

Meanwhile, Tutwiler joined with Reese Murray, Marshall Haynes and Joseph Farley on a volunteer committee to study specific ways to beautify the downtown area. One of their recommendations was to widen sidewalks and add planters and benches to downtown streets, beginning with the seven blocks of 20th Street North, making it more friendly and attractive to pedestrians. New signage, lighting and street furniture would be included in the design. The additional space would be taken from parking and bus lanes, with transit stops moved to 19th Street North.

View looking South on 20th Street in May 1972

In 1970, ONB published a "Birmingham Green Plan", according to which $500,000 pledged by business and property owners would be supplemented with equivalent city funds in order to qualify for $1 million in federal grant money. When completed, the $2 million project would also include 19th Street between 1st and 3rd Avenue North and 2nd and 3rd Avenue North between 18th and 21st Street.

Architect James Adams prepared preliminary designs, saying of the proposal "We are knitting the fabric of the central business district with high quality thread -- that thread being the visual impact of the street scene." Planners hoped to attract more people to spend time downtown shopping and strolling. ONB would organize special committees to preserve the budget and to approve the design of specific additions, such as newspaper boxes and telephone booths. W. L. Jenkins designed and built the lighted stars and candy canes which decorated 20th Street in the 1970s. According to a December 1974 Birmingham News photo caption, "Major design companies have tried to hire him, 'But I just do this for fun,' he shrugged."

In January 1971, with only 11 of the 425 business and property owners who had agreed to support the project having contributed their pledges, the US Department of Housing and Urban Development released their grant funds. The 20th Street portion of the Birmingham Green project was dedicated on September 14, 1973 at a cost of $1.9 million. The city carried out additional work over the next two years. Meanwhile, building owners leveraged the public investment in streetscaping by making improvements to their properties. B. A. Monaghan began a major renovation of the Nabers, Morrow & Sinnige building at 109–111 20th Street North in 1973.

A two-year $1 million project to extend tree plantings into Southside was completed in 1994. In 2017 the Birmingham Department of Planning, Engineering and Permits began studying the feasibility of closing the section of 20th Street North between 2nd Avenue and Park Place to cars and trucks, leaving the Magic City Connector bus lane open, but otherwise creating a "pedestrian mall".

Notable Locations (south to north)

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 20th Street North category.
Dates in parentheses indicate when the address was known to have been used, not necessarily the entire span of its use.

Central City neighborhood

Railroad Reservation

street continues as 20th Street South

Morris Avenue

1st Avenue North

View north from the 100 block of 20th Street in 1917

2nd Avenue North

3rd Avenue North

20th Street looking south from 4th Avenue c. 1928

4th Avenue North

The Tutwiler Hotel at 421 20th Street North

5th Avenue North

6th Avenue North

Park Place

20th Street shifts west, becomes known as Nina's Way (formerly Short 20th Street)

8th Avenue North

end of this section of 20th Street

9th Avenue North

Druid Hills neighborhood

10th Avenue North intersects St Louis & San Franciso Railway crosses

11th Avenue North intersects

12th Avenue North intersects

13th Avenue North & F. L. Shuttlesworth Drive (formerly Huntsville Road) intersects

  • West side
    • 1300-1346: residences
  • East side
    • 1301-1329: residences

14th Avenue North intersects

15th Avenue North intersects

  • 1500-1511: residences

Druid Hill Drive begins

  • 1524-1538: residences

15th Court North intersects

  • 1541-1550: residences

15th Terrace North intersects

  • 1554-1568: residences

Portage Avenue ends

  • 1569-1591: residences

16th Avenue North intersects

  • 1577-1705: residences

20th Place North intersects

  • 2020-2024: residences

road discontinued after 2031

Evergreen neighborhood

21st Avenue North intersects

  • 2100-2128: residences

22nd Avenue North intersects

  • 2201-2228: residences

road discontinued after 2231

North Birmingham neighborhood

Village Creek crosses
24th Avenue North intersects

  • 2401-2417: residences

Finley Boulevard intersects
25th Avenue North intersects

25th Court North intersects
26th Avenue North intersects
26th Court North intersects

27th Avenue North intersects

29th Avenue North intersects
road discontinued
30th Avenue North intersects
31st Avenue North intersects
32nd Avenue North intersects
33rd Avenue North intersects
34th Avenue North intersects
35th Avenue North intersects
36th Avenue North intersects
road continues as alley
37th Avenue North intersects
road discontinued
I-65 (no access)

References

  • Nirenstein, Nathan (c. 1929) Birmingham, Alabama tax map of downtown district
  • "Whitson's Tenant Map of Birmingham" (1930s) compiled, published and periodically revised by Bethel W. Whitson Organization, engineers, surveyors and mapmakers for the Jemison Real Estate Service (Jemison Realty Co., Inc.)
  • Polk's Birmingham (Jefferson County, Ala.) City Directory (1964) Richmond, Virginia: R. L. Polk & Co.
  • "New look for our big town" (August 18, 1970) Birmingham News - via Birmingham Rewound
  • Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce (1976) Century Plus: A Bicentennial Portrait of Birmingham, Alabama 1976 Birmingham: Oxmoor Press, p. 16.
  • Edgemon, Erin (June 26, 2017) "Should Birmingham close 20th Street in downtown for pedestrian traffic?" The Birmingham News

External links