Difference between revisions of "20th Street South"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(University Boulevard (formerly 8th Avenue South))
(8th Court South (east) / 9th Avenue South (west))
Line 459: Line 459:
 
* west side:
 
* west side:
 
** 900-906: former location of [[Lige Loy residence]] (1926), [[Lige Loy Funeral Home]], [[Birmingham Clinic]] (1949-1953)
 
** 900-906: former location of [[Lige Loy residence]] (1926), [[Lige Loy Funeral Home]], [[Birmingham Clinic]] (1949-1953)
** 908: [[UAB Community Care Building]], [[1917 Clinic]], built as [[908 South Twentieth building]], former location of [[Highland Nursing Home]] (1941), medical offices (1949), [[The Gallery of Art & Decoration]] / [[THomas Jones]] / [[H. Perry Hitchcock]] dentists (1953), U.S. government offices (1970)
+
*** 900: former location of [[Alice Kennon]] (1919)
** 916: former location of [[Mary Hayes]] chiropractor (1941), [[Bernard Randman]] dentist (1949), [[Ferdinand Schwartz]] physician (1949-1953), [[Birmingham Institute of Physical Medicine]] rehabilitation clinic (1964-1970)
+
** 908: [[UAB Community Care Building]], [[1917 Clinic]], built as [[908 South Twentieth building]], former location of Mrs [[M. J. Nelson]] / [[J. M. P. Otts]] (1919), [[Highland Nursing Home]] (1941), medical offices (1949), [[The Gallery of Art & Decoration]] / [[THomas Jones]] / [[H. Perry Hitchcock]] dentists (1953), U.S. government offices (1970)
** 918: former location of [[Donald & Donald]] physicians (1949-1953)
+
** 916: former location of Mrs [[M. B. Fordyce]] / [[G. B. Harrison]] (1919), [[Mary Hayes]] chiropractor (1941), [[Bernard Randman]] dentist (1949), [[Ferdinand Schwartz]] physician (1949-1953), [[Birmingham Institute of Physical Medicine]] rehabilitation clinic (1964-1970)
** 920: former location of [[R. H. Pearson residence]] (1899), [[The Hogan Clinic]] (1926-1964)
+
** 918: former location of [[A. A. Hogan]] (1919), [[Donald & Donald]] physicians (1949-1953)
 +
** 920: former location of [[R. H. Pearson residence]] (1899), Mrs [[S. H. Pearson]] (1919), [[The Hogan Clinic]] (1926-1964)
 
*** 920 rear: former location of [[Gus Hendricks]] (1953)
 
*** 920 rear: former location of [[Gus Hendricks]] (1953)
 
** 930: [[UAB Community Health Services Building]], [[UAB Family Medicine]]/[[Civitan-Sparks Clinic]], former location of [[T. H. Molton residence]] (1899), [[James M. McLester]] / [[James B. McLester]] physicians (1922-1953) / [[Miss Quinn's Nursing Home]] (1941-1953), [[Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama]] (1964-1970)
 
** 930: [[UAB Community Health Services Building]], [[UAB Family Medicine]]/[[Civitan-Sparks Clinic]], former location of [[T. H. Molton residence]] (1899), [[James M. McLester]] / [[James B. McLester]] physicians (1922-1953) / [[Miss Quinn's Nursing Home]] (1941-1953), [[Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama]] (1964-1970)
** 936: former location of [[T. T. Ashford residence]] (1899), [[Toddle House]] restaurant (1941-1953)
+
** 936: former location of [[T. T. Ashford residence]] (1899), [[Louise King]] (1919), [[Toddle House]] restaurant (1941-1953)
 
** 938-940: [[Makarios]] restaurant, former location of [[Tatum Service Station]] (1941-1949), [[Gulf 20th Street Service Station]] (1953-1964), [[Kentucky Fried Chicken]] (1970), [[Chinese Express]], [[China Way Restaurant]]
 
** 938-940: [[Makarios]] restaurant, former location of [[Tatum Service Station]] (1941-1949), [[Gulf 20th Street Service Station]] (1953-1964), [[Kentucky Fried Chicken]] (1970), [[Chinese Express]], [[China Way Restaurant]]
 +
*** 938: former location of Mrs [[S. H. Nunnally]] (1919)
  
 
* east side:
 
* east side:
** 917: former location of [[Southern Research|Southern Research Institute]] (1949-1953)
+
** 917: former location of [[J. M. Cartwright]] / [[Alma Lewis]] (1919), [[Southern Research|Southern Research Institute]] (1949-1953)
** 929: [[Regions Bank]] parking lot, former location of [[Benjamin Morten]] / [[Lloyd Boggs]] / [[Buford Word]] physicians (1949)
+
** 929: [[Regions Bank]] parking lot, former location of [[D. C. Lewis]] (1919), [[Benjamin Morten]] / [[Lloyd Boggs]] / [[Buford Word]] physicians (1949)
** 935: former location of [[The Malone]] apartments (1926-1949)
+
** 935: former location of [[W. N. Malone]] (1919), [[The Malone]] apartments (1926-1949)
 
** 937-943: [[Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham]] building (built 1947)
 
** 937-943: [[Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham]] building (built 1947)
 
*** 937: former location of [[Five Points Shoe Hospital]] (1947-1953), [[Elmer Crozier]] watchmaker (1949-1953)
 
*** 937: former location of [[Five Points Shoe Hospital]] (1947-1953), [[Elmer Crozier]] watchmaker (1949-1953)
*** 939: former location of [[J. M. Weatherly residence]] (1899), [[Scott's Apothecary]] (1949-1953)
+
*** 939: former location of [[J. M. Weatherly residence]] (1899), Mrs [[Z. J. Smith]] (1919), [[Scott's Apothecary]] (1949-1953)
 
*** 941: [[Regions Bank]] branch, former location of [[Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham]] (1947-1971)
 
*** 941: [[Regions Bank]] branch, former location of [[Exchange Security Bank of Birmingham]] (1947-1971)
 
*** 943: former location of [[Mary Ball Candies]] (1947-1953)
 
*** 943: former location of [[Mary Ball Candies]] (1947-1953)

Revision as of 13:10, 23 November 2019

20th Street South in October 1962

20th Street South is a north-south street in midtown and southside Birmingham. 20th Street begins at the southern end of 20th Street North at the Railroad Reservation. From there it first crosses Powell Avenue, and then continues through Southside for sixteen blocks to where it intersects with Richard Arrington Jr Boulevard South.

The street runs through the UAB Medical Center, and from 10th Avenue South to Highland Avenue, it is the main road through Five Points South, a major restaurant and entertainment hub of the city.

During the 1980s rows of Willow oak trees were installed along 20th Street South as part of the city's urban tree planting project, guided by Nimrod Long & Associates.

Notable Locations (north to south)

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 20th Street South category.

Railroad Reservation/20th Street underpass

road continues north as 20th Street North

Powell Avenue

The Alagasco Building in 2010

former Alabama Great Southern Railroad crossing

Moore-Handley Hardware Co. in 1904

1st Avenue South

2nd Avenue South

c. 1963 view looking north up 20th Street toward downtown

3rd Avenue South

4th Avenue South

1977 advertisement for "The Strip"
start of UAB campus

5th Avenue South

6th Avenue South

Hillman Hospital, c. 1929

7th Avenue South

University Boulevard (formerly 8th Avenue South)

8th Court South (east) / 9th Avenue South (west)

10th Avenue South intersection

Five Points South begins

Magnolia Avenue

11th Avenue South

12th Avenue South/Highland Avenue

13th Avenue South

14th Avenue South

15th Avenue South

16th Avenue South


U. S. Highway 31 in Birmingham
North side South side
Current route Carraway Blvd · Elton B. Stephens Expressway Elton B. Stephens Expressway
Previous routes 8th Avenue N · 24th Street N 24th Street S · 7th Avenue S · 20th Street S · 21st Street S

References

External links