Difference between revisions of "21st Street North"

From Bhamwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Notable locations)
(Notable locations)
 
Line 110: Line 110:
  
 
* [[4th Avenue North]] intersection
 
* [[4th Avenue North]] intersection
** west side:
+
** west side ([[Block 59]]):
 
*** 400-428: [[Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 3]] (built 1976)
 
*** 400-428: [[Birmingham Parking Authority Deck 3]] (built 1976)
 
**** 400½: former location of [[George Headley]] candy factory (1927)
 
**** 400½: former location of [[George Headley]] candy factory (1927)
Line 119: Line 119:
 
***** 414½: former location of [[Walbert Piano Studios]] (1949)
 
***** 414½: former location of [[Walbert Piano Studios]] (1949)
 
**** 416: former location of [[Birmingham View Company]], [[Knox Portrait Studio]], [[Stephenson Studio]] (1914), [[M. H. Wilson]] photography studio (1920)
 
**** 416: former location of [[Birmingham View Company]], [[Knox Portrait Studio]], [[Stephenson Studio]] (1914), [[M. H. Wilson]] photography studio (1920)
**** 420: former location of [[Beecroft & Mallory Sales Co.]] (1924)
+
**** 420: former location of [[First Presbyterian Church]] ("Old Sail", burned November 1890), [[Beecroft & Mallory Sales Co.]] (1924)
 
+
** east side ([[Block 58]]):
** east side:
+
*** [[First Presbyterian Church]] (built 1888)
*** [[First Presbyterian Church]]
+
 
*** 409: [[Pathways Women's Center]]/[[Safe Haven]] shelter
 
*** 409: [[Pathways Women's Center]]/[[Safe Haven]] shelter
 
*** 413: former location of [[Montgomery's Flowers]] (1946)
 
*** 413: former location of [[Montgomery's Flowers]] (1946)
 
*** 419½: former location of [[Plumbers and Steamfitters Building]] (built [[1942]])
 
*** 419½: former location of [[Plumbers and Steamfitters Building]] (built [[1942]])
 
*** [[Redmont Hotel]], former location of [[First Christian Church]]
 
*** [[Redmont Hotel]], former location of [[First Christian Church]]
* [[5th Avenue North]] intersection
+
 
** west side:
+
* [[5th Avenue North]] intersects
 +
** west side ([[Block 48]]):
 
*** 500–510: [[Advent Episcopal School]] parking lot
 
*** 500–510: [[Advent Episcopal School]] parking lot
 
*** 512-516: [[Advent Episcopal School]]
 
*** 512-516: [[Advent Episcopal School]]
 
*** 518-530: [[Cathedral Church of the Advent]] parking lot
 
*** 518-530: [[Cathedral Church of the Advent]] parking lot
 
**** 524: former location of [[Herbert Brown Motor Company]] (1948)
 
**** 524: former location of [[Herbert Brown Motor Company]] (1948)
** east side:
+
** east side ([[Block 49]]):
 
*** 503: former location of [[Avalon Hotel]] (1910)
 
*** 503: former location of [[Avalon Hotel]] (1910)
 
*** 515: [[B. F. Eborn]] real estate (1887)
 
*** 515: [[B. F. Eborn]] real estate (1887)

Latest revision as of 06:31, 11 June 2021

View up 21st Street North from Southside in August 2007

21st Street North is a north-south street running through downtown Birmingham. The street begins as part of Richard Arrington, Jr Boulevard, picking up at the middle of the Rainbow Viaduct over the Railroad Reservation. From there it continues north to the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex, where it bends onto 10th Avenue North, onto which Richard Arrington, Jr Boulevard continues.

21st Street North proper picks up again north of the BJCC, continuing through Druid Hills on a route that jogs to the east and west at several intersections before ending at 15th Avenue North. Another section picks up on the other side of F. L. Shuttlesworth Drive and bends to the southwest under I-65 to 18th Street North. Yet another section picks up again east of I-65 near Finley Boulevard and continues to just beyond 26th Avenue North, where it bends onto 26th Court North. It picks up again at 29th Avenue North and continues through a residential section of North Birmingham to the campus of Carver High School.

Electric lights were installed 21st Street North from the viaduct to 8th Avenue North in 1945 under the city's contract with the Birmingham Electric Company.

Notable locations

For an alphabetical list of locations, see the 21st Street North category.


  • Park Place (west) / 7th Avenue North (east) intersect
    • west side (Block 22):
      • 700–
      • 710-730: Jefferson County Courthouse (built 1931)
        • 700–708: former location of large residence (1902–1911)
        • 710: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 712: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 714–720: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 726–728: former location of Henry Gray residence (1892–1911)
      • 732–748: Jefferson County Courthouse Annex (built 1962)
        • 730–732: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 734–736: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 738–740: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 742–744: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
        • 746–748: former location of dwelling (1902–1911)
    • east side (Block 23):
      • 701–711: former location of dwelling (1911)
      • 713–715: former location of First Christian Church and Education Building
        • 713: former location of dwelling (1911)
        • 715: former location of dwelling (1911)
      • 717–731: Jefferson County Parking Deck
        • 717–719: former location of dwelling (1911)
        • 721–727: former location of dwelling (1911)
        • 729: former location of dwelling (1911)
        • 731: Sophia's Deli, former location of dwelling (1911)